Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Re: protect the best hand ??

I dont think thats an easy fold if you bet out. If I know you will fold there, I will raise you 50% of the time with nothing.
That being said, I like the check to induce bluffs, lose the least line.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think thats an easy fold if you bet out. If I know you will fold there, I will raise you 50% of the time with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are so brilliant to make this play on the turn, wouldn't you just bet out the flop with your "nothing" in the first place? The key here is that unknown players checked through such a dry flop in a three handed pot where nobody seems to want the pot.

And how do you "know" that I will fold when I bet out here? Do you think that if this situation came up more than once, and you raised me 2/3 of the first 3 times, that I wouldn't eventually catch on to your tom foolery?
-James
Old 06-16-2005, 01:36 PM

Maybe this is a leak... but this pot is so miniscule that I would have almost no interest in the turn card no matter what it was.

I don't think there is much difference in the long run if you bet/fold or check/fold.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are so brilliant to make this play on the turn, wouldn't you just bet out the flop with your "nothing" in the first place? The key here is that unknown players checked through such a dry flop in a three handed pot where nobody seems to want the pot.

And how do you "know" that I will fold when I bet out here? Do you think that if this situation came up more than once, and you raised me 2/3 of the first 3 times, that I wouldn't eventually catch on to your tom foolery?
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

If you did, then it would be a bad play to raise you there. why do you take it personally?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:10 PM

Hey Nomar, I didn't mean to come off as a jerk. And this hand isn't quite as simple as I initially thought, although I think it's still simple. I don't think it much matters what you do, so long as you get to a showdown. I like to check/call, but I'm a passive little sally and I don't know if I could fold to a raise if I bet out. Perhaps you can, and perhaps that's a better line. In any case, I sincerely apologize for a jerk and an idiot in my previous post.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:57 PM

I'd be very surprised if the last limper didn't have a ten.

Really??? He simply failed to autobet the flop on a "steal" and you'd be "very surprised" he doesn't have a ten.

Could you put a (rough) number on that likelihood?

I mean I guess some of the time I'd expect him to have a ten but I'd put that probability at something like 25% (not the equivalent of "very surprising", IMO).

Of course this number will differ from game to game and lineup to lineup, but I'm thinking along the lines of your average Party 15.

Regardless, I think the play is to bet/fold unless you have some extraordinary read that dicatates another line (most likely check/fold).

Luke
Old 06-16-2005, 04:10 PM

As you know, there are certain players who make make this bet correct. They are ones who will raise you with tons of hands, since they figure that you trying to stab at the pot yourself. Depending on the position of you and this opponent as well as the others in the hand, this could be exactly what will happen if you bet and call down. This would make a lot of money. That said, this situation is kind of rare, though not as rare as it sounds at the limits that you are playing. However, the default play is to check and either call or fold, as you say.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

sorry to waste your time roland on such a simple limit hold'em hand...

next time I will just do something then do something else and try not to bother you

[/ QUOTE ]

haha well said
Old 06-16-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be very surprised if the last limper didn't have a ten.

[/ QUOTE ]

KJ and 78, crap like that doesn't seem just as likely? I understand why you like the guy having a ten, but I think "very surprised" is taking it a little too far.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Nomar finally posts, it\'s a good one and.............

Roland rags him. Ugh. Taking this simple situation and adding an A, K or J instead of a Q and you're looking at so many BB's in long term profit it's ridiculous.