Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Be Cool (movie review)

The only part Joe v Volcano I ever saw was a scene where Tom Hanks, having just learned he has a very short time to live, goes back to his job to tell his boss, played by Dan Hedaya, to go foul himself. I loved that scene. I keep meaning to watch the movie, but never got around to it.

The other night "Goodfellas" was on, and I mentioned to my wife that all the Pesci movies I've seen have been good (except The Super). So I pulled up "With Honors" On Demand. Is that the name of it? Pesci's a homeless guy, goes to Harvard or something.

In the opening scene, we meet three Harvard kids (Brendon Frasier, Moira Kelly of West Wing fame, and some punk). None of these kids is likable, at least not to a rapidly-approaching-middle-age guy like me. Frasier is supposed to be brilliant, Moira (as my father once asked, "Who the Christ would name their kid Moira?") is supposed to be cute, the punk was supposed to be witty--and they were 0-for-3 in the opening minutes.

Frasier has a meeting with some hotshot professor, who tells him, "Your future is bright. It all comes down to that paper you've been working on all your life. That paper means everything to you, young man." So our young hero--the most brilliant student Harvard has ever had--goes home, fires up his computer. The computer crashes. AND DUDE DOESN'T HAVE HIS PRECIOUS PAPER BACKED UP ON A FLOPPY DISK. Smartest guy on the campus, no backup disk. There's now one printed copy remaining in existance, and he grabs it, to run to Kinko's and make some more copies.

I turned it off at this point. Obviously, someone was going to get their hands on his last copy, and he was going to spend the rest of the movie trying to get it back--and I didn't give a damn if he got it back or not. AND since this was a ridiculously stupid movie, there was no doubt that he would get it back.

I sat down to watch a Joe Pesci movie, and I had to turn it off before Pesci's first entrance.

One other movie I gave up on early: "A Simple Plan" with Billy Bob. He and his buddy find a crashed plane in the woods, full of money. They agree, "We should keep this secret". Suddenly, somebody they know shows up--in the middle of the freaking woods--and if that wasn't improbable enough, Billy Bob whacks him. We're five minutes in, and I've seen enough. CLICK!
Old 06-16-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The auto-sizing of your avatar makes that girl look really fat.

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored], okay. I'll have to cut her legs off then. Thanks.

She's a twig, btw.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I walked out of Deconstructing Harry too, but I guess some people liked it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit slow at times, but I liked it.

[ QUOTE ]
Goodfellas

[/ QUOTE ]

I swear this is the most overrated movie ever, next to Scarface.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:10 AM

Goodfellas was pretty damn good. The first half was awesome. Some relaly classic moments. How am I funny? Like clown funny?

Anyways, Elektra, the first movie I ever walked out of the cinema from. There was one villain that was pretty cool, but then turned out to be a total pussy (typhoid) everything else in that movie was just god awful. And SW: Ep 3 was close to making me walk out aswell, the good reviews had me hoping Lucas would bring it home in the end, so I stayed, but alas he did not provide.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:27 AM

The movie was pretty bad, but i thought vince Vaughn was funny. And the scene where The Rock keeps slapping his own ass was hilarious.