Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Hooks, $215 SNG- how\'s my line?

After his turn bet, you have nowhere near the 5th best hand. You have a very mediocre hand.

Edit to point: You built a big pot pre-flop and now you're spending a lot of chips protecting a mediocre hand.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

After his turn bet, you have nowhere near the 5th best hand. You have a very mediocre hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the turn bet, you have the 3rd best hand.

I don't think it's that terrible...
Old 06-15-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying that I don't put T325 more in the pot after I get called on the flop. And if I do put another chip in the pot, it won't be because I have the 3rd best flush draw with 1 card to come.

If you want to build a big pot pre-flop, fine. But realize that after his turn bet, you have nowhere near the 5th best hand. You have a very mediocre hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

A- I have the third best hand on the turn with a made flush, not a flush draw.
B- With a 4-flush on the board 3rd best heads up doesn't seem like a lock to me, but I think it's worth a showdown. I can consider a smaller blocking bet of maybe 125-150 on the river. Wow, am I way off on this? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2005, 06:17 PM

Oops. I misread the original post. My apologies.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:20 PM

I just limp preflop and fold when the betting gets heavy on the flop. I see no need to lose a lot of chips with JJ when an A comes.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:21 PM

On the river you almost certainly have the best hand, but if you don't you aren't going to block anything. If you think there is a good chance he has a better hand, then check/call. If he has the nuts and you check, he'll probably just bet that same 200 or so rather than reraise your blocking bet.

I think your river bet is a decent value bet as he is fairly likely to call with a worse flush or even worse hands than that.

I'd have raised less preflop and probably checked the flop.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:39 PM

Wow, lotta concepts floating around here, from you and other posters.

Meta-rule: "When you are playing a calling station, play very simple, ABC poker."

Cause all those moves are just going to bounce off the stupid shield.

So, my line:
Raise pre-flop (like you did, for the reasons you gave).
Check the flop. Fold if villain bets anything substantial.
Pot-sized bet on the turn. Fold if re-raised.
Check the river. Forget blocking bets. Fold if villain bets anything substantial.

I will also pick on one of the concepts that you personally mis-apply here: it's harmless to give a free card on the river. No, no, no. The board will pair far too often, and now you have to worry about full houses and quads.

My two cents, anyway.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, lotta concepts floating around here, from you and other posters.

Meta-rule: "When you are playing a calling station, play very simple, ABC poker."

Cause all those moves are just going to bounce off the stupid shield.

So, my line:
Raise pre-flop (like you did, for the reasons you gave).
Check the flop. Fold if villain bets anything substantial.
Pot-sized bet on the turn. Fold if re-raised.
Check the river. Forget blocking bets. Fold if villain bets anything substantial.

I will also pick on one of the concepts that you personally mis-apply here: it's harmless to give a free card on the river. No, no, no. The board will pair far too often, and now you have to worry about full houses and quads.

My two cents, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Pineapple, I appreciate the comments- I wasn't trying anything extremely fancy, but point taken. I bet the flop as a continuation bet, and would figure to get rid of 3 and 6 outer hands like Kx or KQ (without diamonds). When I say calling station I mean she called a large raise preflop after limping with A3s and called 3 decent-sized bets on the A high board against QQ. If the flop didn't hit her, I don't think she'd call, so I don't think I should check and assume she has an ace.

As I labeled her as a passive player, I can't see her betting a set on a 4-flush board so I ruled that out as a possibility, but point taken.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:57 PM

My gut feeling is that she has something like 99 or 88 with a diamond, and you played it well. Although in that case you would have won the hand and wouldn't be posting it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the flop as a continuation bet, and would figure to get rid of 3 and 6 outer hands like Kx or KQ (without diamonds).

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, but I don't think that's enough bang for your buck in this situation. Against a good player, a continuation bet will accomplish two other goals: 1.) It may get a better hand to fold, 2.) It will clarify the villain's hand. Against a calling station, I don't think either of those apply.

[ QUOTE ]
When I say calling station I mean she called a large raise preflop after limping with A3s and called 3 decent-sized bets on the A high board against QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's enough evidence for me.

[ QUOTE ]
If the flop didn't hit her, I don't think she'd call

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but think of all the ways the flop can hit her (by donkey standards).

[ QUOTE ]
so I don't think I should check and assume she has an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you shouldn't assume anything at this point. You're waiting for a better chance to get clarity. Or you're just checking it down all the way. (I could be wrong about this, though. It just feels better to me to check here.)

[ QUOTE ]
As I labeled her as a passive player, I can't see her betting a set on a 4-flush board so I ruled that out as a possibility, but point taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. But you can't be all that confident, can you? That's the problem.