Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Overplaying overcards?

hand #1 is fine. to whomever suggested c/r: who are you check/raising exactly? this bet is for value. tons of equity here.

hand #2 is fine. maybe i'm too aggressive, but large pot and pretty ragged board, you want to do what you can to win it. based on your read, i doubt he's betting a draw or anything.

hand #3 your read was based on a c/r, but i didn't see one. tough hand though as the river completes a possible semi-bluff raise on the turn. i don't know how it breaks out percentage wise, but if you think he'll bluff and you call the turn raise, go to showdown, otherwise fold to the turn raise IMO.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1

I would check/raise the flop. I want to build the pot, I have a strong draw. I want to improve my chances to win the pot as fast as possible incase I don't hit the draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opponents are passive, and Hero is the preflop raiser... isn't there a strong chance your c/r would just get checked around instead? I would think you would get more money in the pot by betting out. No?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:56 PM

Hand 1 is fine.

Hand 2 is not fine. I don't really like betting into a bunch of people with just ace high, and I certainly don't like calling the raise and chasing. I would just check/fold this flop; when you miss the flop, you want to lose the minimum.

Hand 3 is bad also. Just check and try to get a free card, fold if the cutoff bets or someone bets 4th street and you don't improve.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1

I would check/raise the flop. I want to build the pot, I have a strong draw. I want to improve my chances to win the pot as fast as possible incase I don't hit the draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opponents are passive, and Hero is the preflop raiser... isn't there a strong chance your c/r would just get checked around instead? I would think you would get more money in the pot by betting out. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for pointing this out to me. I have started playing my flush draws the same way evertime without thinking about why, not good. I knew I was missing something here.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:26 AM

I think hand 1 is basically fine.

Hand 2 I'd bet, call the raise but check/fold the turn unimproved. I think that the Q gives your bet some credibility given your raise pre-flop ( ie some may fold here fearing a set or QQ + decent kicker, if you hit on the turn those folds just helped you out ) and there's enough in the pot to take a shot at it.

Hand 3 I dont like at all, just check and fold the flop I think is best but again that pre-flop raise sends the signal that you might have a high pair so a bet might ber worth it, this time I'd fold to a raise though.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:19 AM

Hand 1: Perfect.

Hand 2: The board is ragged, but you have 5 opponents. Your weak lead does nothing here, and you don't have a hand. There is a 90% chance someone has a pair even on this reasonably friendly board. Your results in getting it heads up after MP2's raise are a bit unusual imo. The pot is big enough to check and call one flop bet here, but there's no point in betting here.

Since you do bet, go ahead and call the raise and check/fold the turn unimproved. If you have a full 6 outs you have a thin call if you generously interpret your implied odds, but the SSH idea of counting your naked overs as 3 outs is a better idea here.

Hand 3: I don't hate your flop bet but I wouldn't bet the turn. The chance that someone's got you crushed is reasonably good and they're certainly not folding to the 7. If you were going to take this pot down with a bet, it would've been on the flop. Just check-fold the turn.

I had this leak for a while, and it's a good one to have--it shows that you're playing aggressively. Learning when to just give up on these (and _everyone has trouble with them) will definitely help your winrate though. Just go through the SSH checklist: 0) What are my chances of having the best hand? 1) how big's the pot? 2) how many opponents do I have? 3) how strong are my overs, do they have other draws? 4) Will they fold if I bet? 5) Will i narrow down the field significantly if I bet? 6) am i in position to take a free card or showdown by betting?