Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Life after Professional Poker

I read in someones profile that their occupation was "Equity Manager." That got a good chuckle.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I went to Europe. I wanted to see the world."

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - You don't want to convey your opinion that Europe is the only other part of the world. Say you wanted to travel and experience more of the world.

Blackjack
Old 06-14-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How could someone with an undergrad degree...IN THE STUDY OF MONEY, not be able to grasp the sheer lunacy of leaving a job to "give professional poker a whirl".

[/ QUOTE ]

You are retarded. Economics is not the study of money, it's a theory of choice.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:42 AM

Keep grinding out that 12K/year. Mom is proud.

-Matt
Old 06-14-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this would be a fantastic once in a lifetime experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, you've been watching too much WPT. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep grinding out that 12K/year. Mom is proud.

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

This is genuinely funny. You have no idea who I am, what I do, if I play winning poker, nothing. Yet you think somehow this is an insult. Honestly, you are a triumph.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:12 AM

I'm not considering poker cause I watchted the WPT one night and saw a lot of money on the table or saw Shaina Hiatt's boobs. I'm fully aware of the negatives of relying on poker as a sole source of income. That's not the question here.

I'm really just looking at whether playing poker for a year, especially after already working for a year, will negatively effect my career afterwards.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:08 PM

Look at it this way: YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! I assume that you are in your early 20's, not tied down and probably don't have school loans to worry about. Taking a year off to play poker is no worse than f'ing around the world with a EuroRail Pass and a backpack while trying to bang a chick in every port! If this is your hearts desire, then go for it. The time will come when you won't be able to do this and you'll always regret the decision.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How could someone with an undergrad degree...IN THE STUDY OF MONEY, not be able to grasp the sheer lunacy of leaving a job to "give professional poker a whirl".

[/ QUOTE ]

Economics is most definately not the study of money. And I'm not sure exactly why you think this is so looney, others take time off like this before beginning a profession or graduate school for many reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-14-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker seems to me to be an excellent experience for someone very interested in economics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so too. I was a CS and Econ major in school, and poker is the only place where I actually apply what I've learned in college. I've been spending alot of time recently trying to see if I can understand the "economics" of poker. So far I have a lot of crazy theories that are probably wrong. If you think of the poker table as the "marketplace" and your opponents as your "competition", all poker is, is trying to come up with the perfect strategy to maximize your profits. If you're seriously thinking of getting a PhD in economics, and are interested in poker, you may even try to spend the year not only playing poker, but theorizing about the economics of the game. So far, I've not seen any economic models applied to poker, but I really think alot of the concepts I learned in college are very applicable, if only I hadn't drank so much.