Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: odd odds

[ QUOTE ]
would you think that your odds of hitting your cards are better this time because last time you didn't hit?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. If anything, I would go the other way. If certain cards are not coming out much, I would tend to think they will continue to not come out much. One hand is not enough to determine if such a streak is occuring however, and determining when the end of the streak occurs is usually not easy to determine without some error.

I haven't really noticed when certain cards are not coming out much. I'm sure those streaks occur, but it is a lot easier to notice which cards are coming out a lot rather than notice which ones are not coming out much.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:52 PM

What did you just say...?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:14 PM

You're joking right? The order/sequence of cards dealt is RANDOM. You might believe in some cosmic ebb and flow of the universe where certain cards come in streaks. Obviously you're going to notice when K and 9 come on the flop twice in row. What about the other 99% of the time when it doesnt come twice in a row? Reads on players, betting patterns, there is a lot that carries over from hand to hand, odds of certain cards coming is not one of them. Any advice that says otherwise is just plain wrong. (Although I will admit to calling with T8s because its my "lucky hand.")

XXXNoahXXX
Old 06-16-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The order/sequence of cards dealt is RANDOM.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is correct. But in a random distribution, streaks occur. It is pretty easy to identify when a streak is occuring. The hard part is to know when it will end. One thing I've noticed is that streaks don't generally carry over from one table or session to another. That might be intuitive, but I'll mention it anyway.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:55 PM

So-called streaks of cards in poker are not like winning streaks in baseball (Red Sox have won 7 in a row, so betting on them to win 8 might make sense, etc.). The funny thing about streaks of cards in poker is that by the time u notice them, too late, they've passed. Are u telling me that if 7 10 comes on the flop, then comes on the flop again two hands later, then you get dealt 7 10, ure going to adjust your preflop calling standards because 7 10 might be on a streak? That is insanity.