Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: The best way to learn NL Holdem?

Ideally, I would say that you should start at $10 or $25nl tables.

But each increment up, because there's real money (even if its just pennies), people play a little more 'real' and a little bit better.

I played at free tables on Pokerstars when I started out. People went all in preflop all the time, half the table called. Bets, bet sizes,.. it all was meaningless. It usually didn't matter if you raised or not.

I think you play the free games for a day if you don't understand the mechanics of the game. But your opponents aren't playing 'real' poker. So you're not going to learn much by playing against them.

(Note: I forget where, I think it was Cardplayer Magazines.. but somewhere was an article about this. That person also said to get off the tables ASAP.) Without real value on the wagers, the play is meaningless.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew someone would disagree.

What is the difference between free poker and poker played at the .10/.20 level? (Don't tell me because its real money, I'll fall off my chair.)

Why waste risking 20 cents (oooh) to learn the game when you could risk a free chip and learn it just the same? The play is not THAT much different.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is similar in the sense that chess is similar to checkers.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:28 PM

My learning game strategy is neither the free money nor the nano limit $0.01/$0.02 but to take advantage of the bonuses offered.

I've decided if you're getting about a bonus like the $100 to play 700 hands in party $25NL you will on average make money even if you are learning.

Consider:

You're getting $100/700 raked hands = $14/100hands = 57 Big blinds / 100 hands.

It would be really hard to lose more than 57 big blinds / 100 hands.

Even if you're totally stupid you could just fold every hand (except possibly AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK) and still make money.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:38 PM

Your concept is absolutely right, but the math isn't quite as enticing as you imagine. Depending on table selection you'll play maybe 200 hands for 100 *raked* hands.