Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Bankroll for B&M?

[ QUOTE ]

50 is way too much. You'd look like a boob buying in for $400 at a 4/8 table.

[/ QUOTE ]

$400 may be excessive, but you should buy in for at least $200. Having a big stack, even at a limit game, helps your table image and your confidence. Clarkmeister himself told me that.

And no-one from PDX knows anything about poker, except Annie Duke and she's an import...
Old 06-14-2005, 01:31 AM

Don't play 2/4. You won't be able to beat the rake.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:02 AM

i think this post was about bankroll not buy-in, but i agree, i think 20BB is fine... thats what i buyin, with more in the pocket of course
Old 06-14-2005, 02:47 AM

Even I have to admit that BB requirements listed here are excessive if your rent doesn't rely on your poker winnings. I've never dropped enough that had me in fear of losing 300bb, the few times I came close I stepped down in limits, re-analyzed my game and worked my way back up. As long as your willing to step down when you run bad AND you don't rely on poker to eat, 150-200bb is more than enough / 10-15 NL buyins.

If you're going to only occasionally play in a B&M at 2/4 why do you even need a bankroll? A bankroll is only really needed for someone who plays regularly.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't believe how bad most of the players were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the poker craze
Old 06-14-2005, 08:52 AM

Buying in for a ridiculous amount makes you look really "cool". You can also spend your time between hands building chip towers, pyramids, castles......
Old 06-14-2005, 09:03 AM

For those that misinterpreted- I know not to sit down at the table with +200bb. I'm sorry if I didn't clarify this.

After seeing how profitable this game could be, I thought it might be smart to play this on a normal basis; a few times a week. It basically plays like .5/.10 on PS but of course you can make more money there. As for the rake issue, is there a larger game at Commerce that is just as soft(or comparable to .25/.50 on PS, which is the level I'm playing now) with a more easily beatable rake? 3/6 perhaps?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can also spend your time between hands building chip towers, pyramids, castles......

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best part about playing live lol
Old 06-14-2005, 10:04 AM

My take on the matter is different than almost everyone else who posted, except the first guy touched on it. VARIANCE in this kind of game is GREATER, and thus your bankroll should be GREATER than if everyone were acting as you thought they should. I've played the low limits; if you're going to do it live, you better have the bankroll for it, seeing as how your EV is diminished by rake, jackpot, and tips.

Edit: btw, to your other question.. 3-6, 4-8, 5-10, and 6-12 are just about as "soft" as 2-4... if money is not the issue, you definitely should move up.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:24 PM

anything under 4/8 is strictly entertainment, IMO. 300BB is a standard for a winning player to have a near zero risk of ruin. If poker isn't my only form of income I could be very comfortable playing 4/8 or even 5/10 with $1500 in my "roll". Yes, I could go broke but I probably won't. Who cares anyway, it's not my only source of income.

Yes, live games truly are amazing right now. "Only six, SIX people to the flop this hand! You guys are tightening up too much!"