Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Playing Multiple Shorthanded Games

i dont like the idea of knowingly compromising your edge - i accept that playing multiple tables you will lose a part of that edge but i would rather play with the expectation that i'm not

pot odds simply isnt an issue - if your good enough to beat 3-4 games of short handed at once the simple math involved in pot odds shouldnt trouble you

a cynical view would be that the way you reccomend playing is the handbook of the weak tight - ie play straight forward, get scared when they raise, dont bluff much

when i first started multi tabling full time i hit a horrible patch after about 1 month - i spent some time contemplating my game after that concerned that the increase in the amount i played had contributed significantly to my horrible patch - after going over some stats of that period and with the benfit of several months hindsight i finally identified some things that were different - i stole less pots which for me is the pinnacle of table awareness - i also came to the view that i became way to predictable and you cant expect to beat a mid/high limit short handed game for any decent amount playing that way

like any good game pride cometh before a fall in poker - i figured i was so much better than the average punter (which i am) that i could maintain a decent win rate playing 5-6 tables at once - i still play 4-5 tables of mid/high short handed at once but i dont usually play for more than 3-4 hours at a time and as soon as my interest drifts i wander off to play some NL sng's or draw or omaha or cook dinner

i think the bottom line is simply that you have to learn poker while you play it or your dead in the water

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 06-13-2005, 05:15 AM

thanks for this very nice and well organized post. gave me lots of things to think about.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont like the idea of knowingly compromising your edge - i accept that playing multiple tables you will lose a part of that edge but i would rather play with the expectation that i'm not

[/ QUOTE ]

This will sound cynical - but - are you saying you'd rather fool yourself? I don't follow this.

The rest of your post is interesting, I'll have to think about that a bit.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This will sound cynical - but - are you saying you'd rather fool yourself? I don't follow this.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot to be said for continuing to push every edge even though you know your skills are compromised by multi-tabling. Keep trying and gradually youe ability to make the edges pay increases.

I know I compromised a lot to multi-table profitably. I felt I had to do so because I really struggled with multi-tabling for a long time. Now I'm fairly comfortable with 4 tables I'm gradually trying to play correctly again.

I suspect it would have been more efficient just to go for it hell for leather from the begining and trusted on it all working out. Of course I may have gone bust on the way.

chez
Old 06-13-2005, 08:54 AM

I see. If that's what stripsqueez meant, then that definitely makes sense. Thanks
Old 06-13-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see. If that's what stripsqueez meant, then that definitely makes sense. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

His Australian. Pushing small edges beyond their ability is the national sport [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]