Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Interesting bubble spot

I think it's close also. You really shouldn't have much folding equity here, and if your opponents are willing to call with a moderately loose range of hands I think it would be a slighty -EV move. But you're also looking at being pretty much all-in with any 2 on the next hand with something significantly worse than A6o.

I think I push and hope it folds around.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:31 PM

All good points.
A6o is too strong here though.
You DO have FE left, and this is your chance to maintain it.
If people loosen up their calling requirements, great. You're ahead of the marginal hand they're adding to their calling range so this is good news for you, not bad.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:32 PM

Yeah, I hear you. I misread the text in the original post about the big stack.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If people loosen up their calling requirements, great. You're ahead of the marginal hand they're adding to their calling range so this is good news for you, not bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's definitely not true if it's the big stack who's doing the loosening. I am better off if the big stack folds everything than if he calls me with...say....82+ (I mean, 87-82 and nothing else).
Old 06-09-2005, 11:39 PM

I agree this is interesting, but I still say push. Mind you I am still just starting really win at the 20's.
Here is my thinking -- I wonder what you think of it ilya?

I think you should want shorty to call. You are likely ahead and he is going to feel obligated to as he is so short. In my eyes that make this a +ev situation. Additionally the big stack may push over the top to get you heads up as the shorty will be hoping for you to get busted. If he does you are again likely ahead and thus still +ev.

does this make sense?

as usual, any thought appreciated

Ryan
Old 06-09-2005, 11:40 PM

I may be weak-tight, but I fold here. People call a lot, and I really don't want to be called. Pushing might be correct, but I think it's close, given the fact that people call with a LOT of hands.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree this is interesting, but I still say push. Mind you I am still just starting really win at the 20's.
Here is my thinking -- I wonder what you think of it ilya?

I think you should want shorty to call. You are likely ahead and he is going to feel obligated to as he is so short. In my eyes that make this a +ev situation. Additionally the big stack may push over the top to get you heads up as the shorty will be hoping for you to get busted. If he does you are again likely ahead and thus still +ev.

does this make sense?

as usual, any thought appreciated

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Ryan,

I don't quite agree with your reasoning. For one, I think that while I DO want super-shortie in the SB to call, he will almost certainly fold unless he has a big hand. He will figure that the BB is very likely to call me and that this is his best chance of making it into the money.
Secondly, I really don't want the big stack to come into the hand. It only helps me those rare few times that I dominate him...otherwise, it is more profitable for me if he folds, even if his hand is as weak as 32o.
Finally, I would also prefer that the BB fold even when his hand is very weak...the edge I will have over almost any hand he might call with is not enough to overcome the risk of busting.

Ilya
Old 06-09-2005, 11:57 PM

I agree that this is a close decision, but I think you should push in this situation.

The arguments about getting called, etc. are all valid, but chances are good that you have the best hand here. The real problem here as I see it, is if you wait hoping for the shorter stack to blind out before you do, then you are relying on a number of things to happen in your favor that may not go your way. Even if it does go your way and he blinds out before you do, your stack will be so small as to pretty much guarantee a 3rd place finish. If you win this hand by taking the blinds, your chances of moving up to a second place finish improve dramatically IMO.

You could pass this chance and then not see another card above 8 for the next 8 hands and watch as both of the other short stacks double up at the big stacks expense. If the stack that is shorter than you manages to double up, then you are really in a bad spot.

I think you have to push here, because to wait for someone else to get knocked out is relying on several factors to go your way when they quite possibly won't. By pushing you are taking advantage of a situation that is favorable to you.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:08 AM

I think you have to push here because you have a small amount of FE against the BB he doesn't want to be the short stack either and is probably waiting it out himself.

Far too often big stack or SB will push and not get called leaving you in absolutely horrid shape.

I think this is a much more interesting question if the big stack is in the BB in which case your FE goes way down and folding may have more merit.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:17 AM

I'm way too tight in these spots. Everyone else is right, push.