Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Where is this coming from all of a sudden

[ QUOTE ]
there are no reverse implied odds with limp reraising AA all in because you cannot be behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

? It's a problem because if someone doesn't flop better than one pair you get no action, but if they do flop better than one pair your hand is obvious and you will end up losing a lot.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:40 PM

But you can't win anything other than what's in the pot already, assuming semi-decent/observant opponents who know the limp-re-raise = AA/KK.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there are no reverse implied odds with limp reraising AA all in because you cannot be behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

? It's a problem because if someone doesn't flop better than one pair you get no action, but if they do flop better than one pair your hand is obvious and you will end up losing a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

the idea with the LRR is that you're putting enough of your stack preflop that people have incorrect implied odds to call.

if i'm playing 1/2 and limp with a $200 stack, then someone raises to $10 and i reraise to $50, then no one has correct implied odds. it's not possible to profitably call this with anything (unless they think i'm bluffin).

it's a good move, and one that you should make with more than AA/KK on a tough/tricky table.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:45 PM

I'm not sure how anyone can call this a "bad" play.

As I said above, I'll usually only do it when my cards have been running so badly that I must look overly tight to the rest of the table. And if they're raising early limpers consistently, you bet I'm going to limp, they're almost sure to raise me if I look like the tightest player at the table.

Then I'm bringing in such a reraise that they'll put it down at least 3/4 of the time. And the only thing that could call a huge raise is a pair or maybe an aggressive AK, and that's exactly who I want to call...
Old 06-09-2005, 04:47 PM

I think it is extremely weak to do with AK, but I've seen it done before. I was watching the 30/60 Limit table last night and a guy limp "reraised" with AK and was berated afterwards for doing so. Thing is if you always do it with KK or AA, this is the norm with a table that has a lot of players moving through, but if your playing the same opponents for hours or the same opponents for weeks, you might have to change up your play.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:50 PM

Do it once in a while. Limped with Kings UTG at full table. No raises, like 2 callers and one of the blinds. I ended up busting the crappy BB on Q high flop against his Q8o.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:55 PM

The question is why do you want them to put it down when you have them crushed?

I think the play is acceptable if you have 1 or 2 super-LAGs at your table just giving away their money but otherwise a simple raise is more beneficial in the long run, unless you're playing too tight.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:58 PM

I dont know, one guy who pulled it today got called by 44, neither hit the flop and the 44 guy called off all his chips post flop so I guess sometimes it will work, I folded my QQ though. I guess I just have noticed it more because it keeps happening to me. I raised with TT, QQ, and even AK. Got reraised each time and let all but the TT go because it was a smallish re-raise that I felt was good enough for a call and prayer for trips.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the idea with the LRR is that you're putting enough of your stack preflop that people have incorrect implied odds to call.

if i'm playing 1/2 and limp with a $200 stack, then someone raises to $10 and i reraise to $50, then no one has correct implied odds. it's not possible to profitably call this with anything (unless they think i'm bluffin).

it's a good move, and one that you should make with more than AA/KK on a tough/tricky table.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then you win $10 + blinds with AA/KK? I think you could probably have a higher EV by just raising and playing poker.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:00 PM

Thing is they don't put it down alot of the times. They raise so they must call. This is small stakes poker, right? Have you played much small stakes poker online? Most people who raise will call any reraise unless it's a large allin. With AA you know you got a guy by the "nuts." You want to get a lot of money in pre-flop, for the following reasons, making the pot large and making them pot committed, and to take down the pot. Haven't you heard the rules with big PPs, you either win a small pot or lose a big one. While not necessarily always true, I've seen it true for many at small stakes NL poker.