Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: To Raise? Or not to Raise? That is the question.

in the SB, I don't think a raise would push anybody out (cept maybe the BB)

the reason why your raising with some of these hands is for value, getting more money in the pot when you are ahead of everyone else so far that has limped.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:14 PM

SSH assumes that you won't push anyone out. Your not really trying to, your trying to get more money in the pot when you have an edge, which with AJ, AQ esspescially suited you have that edge (on preflop and flop bets) so punish them.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing a good amount of .25/.50 on Paradise Poker and I've been finding raising hands in the BB. So my question is should I be raising with AQ, AJ etc. in the BB with 4-6 limpers? I've tried both ways, and it seems to me that not raising has been more profitable. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

it depends if you're Entity or not [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

right now i don't unless suited. i hate playing these hands OOP and i have a bad case of the "autobet" that i just can't kick yet [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing a good amount of .25/.50 on Paradise Poker and I've been finding raising hands in the BB. So my question is should I be raising with AQ, AJ etc. in the BB with 4-6 limpers? I've tried both ways, and it seems to me that not raising has been more profitable. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

In SB/BB I call or check with AQo/AJo. I may raise or call with AQs/AJs. I feel that the these hands need to be seperated due to being sooted and not.

With them being sooted this helps you build preflop for a flush draw if you raise.

On the other hand, AQo/AJo do not perform as well as their sooted brothers so raising these may not be the best play due to the number of people in. No one is going to fold to your raise. (Unless someone behind you reraises.)

Either sooted or not you will be getting odds to call on the flop if you have just over cards. You will be betting if you have top pair. Checking/calling here helps disguise your hand a bit too. No one is going to put you on these hands.

I advocate that the pot is big enough, no need to make it larger with these hands since I feel you will be dominated a lot of the time when someone does better than you on the flop. Math guys, any odds on this?

While these hands are monsters, I don't feel they are monsters in large multiway pots (non sooted, sooted could be.) And I have read other information which backs this up. PM me for the link if you like.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:30 PM

Raise if you play at least somewhat well postflop. Not doing so will hurts your earn IMO. If you spew with overs postflop because you raised preflop, just check.

Brad
Old 06-10-2005, 11:32 PM

On the other hand, AQo/AJo do not perform as well as their sooted brothers so raising these may not be the best play due to the number of people in.

This is true, but it is also false at the same time.

When people are playing reasonable hands like 66 or QTs or something, then you are better off just checking. When people limp in with J7o and K3s, you really need to raise here.

Brad
Old 06-10-2005, 11:55 PM

If there're 2 people in I definately raise these in any position. With 3, I will probably raise to keep it at 3. With 4 it becomes questionable.

Also, by raising preflop you may cause the fish with K3o to fold on the flop when he catches a 3 thinking you have him beat instead of calling down hoping to catch his 3 or K. In either situation he will probably be getting odds to call the flop too. By raising we are definately giving him odds to call the flop and turn. Then this turns into a I raised AQo preflop in a large pot and fish drew out on me. By keeping this pot small preflop we can weed people out on the flop.

(5-7 SB on flop vs. 10-14 figure.)

By raising we just gave everyone odds to call with a hand that has as little as 4 outs. IMHO this is an error!

The way I play this is to probably just check/call preflop. I then lead out at the flop unless a K shows up or 3 sooted that aren't any of my soot. Hopefully I get reraised by the BB or someone in EP here!
Old 06-11-2005, 12:00 AM

Also, by raising preflop you may cause the fish with K3o to fold on the flop when he catches a 3 thinking you have him beat instead of calling down hoping to catch his 3 or K.

So? The pot will be huge and he will be making a bad fold.

You don't have to worry about this though. If the fish flops bottom pair, he will call you all the way.

Brad
Old 06-11-2005, 12:05 AM

Yes, he will, but we want to have our opponent make an error, not give our opponent pot odds. Or am I way off on my TOP here? By raising we are now giving pot odds for anyone to call *almost* anything.

I still feel the correct move is to check/call. We can also more easily get away from out hand when we don't get a flop we want.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:11 AM

Anyone else have any thoughts? Agree/Disagree?