Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: let\'s look at a notable hand from 2/5 NL at the MGM grand

so much more fun then the online ones aren't they [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

RB
Old 06-08-2005, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

so much more fun then the online ones aren't they

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.. makes me wonder why I bother playing online. Online you very likely would have lost this hand. I've yet to see a guy call a re-raise with KJ, but live I've seen them call it all.

Lawrence
Old 06-08-2005, 05:24 AM

i dont like the weak flop bet into such a draw heavy board. tough spot. id want to bet around 125 there myself, not sure if thats right or not.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
EP checks - I fire out a $25 probe and LP reraises it to $100 - EP calls and ....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you should usually fold, sounds like you were up against a couple of idiots though.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EP checks - I fire out a $25 probe and LP reraises it to $100 - EP calls and ....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you should usually fold, sounds like you were up against a couple of idiots though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I thought at first, but he fires 1/6th of the pot and gets raised not even pot size, and has almost no chips left, I think its set in stone after the preflop action that hero has to get it all in here
Old 06-08-2005, 11:16 AM

that's the thing...

who calls a $50 buck bet cold preflop after a raise/reraise? Probably someone with no brain or some genius who can outplay me.

someone with no brain bluffs/steals on the flop -

some genius overbets to make me think he's weak.

both options look the same, but he was a young wiseass from NYC and so was his buddy, so I went with the not so smart move.

In retrospect, I shoulda wrote it down - when I do the playback in my head, I'm feeling like the math says I was all in on the turn, but I know I did it on the river - maybe I had $300 - It was early when I won that pot, and I won another $100 before cashing -

but by the river, I was almost sure I was beaten and said so, but I said there was too much money in the pot for me to lay it down for my few chips I had left, and I called.

It was the EP raiser that I really worried about - someone who's smart would just keep coldcalling his monster and let us dump chips in the pot, which is exactly what he did after his preflop raise.

I am definately tighter in my NL games, but usually in live games, it induces bluffs, so I don't complain - I've had terrific results at NL in Vegas where the fish play - I really need to try Turtle Lake this weekend.

RB
Old 06-08-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I thought at first, but he fires 1/6th of the pot and gets raised not even pot size, and has almost no chips left, I think its set in stone after the preflop action that hero has to get it all in here

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is the way your going to play it, why not push the turn?

theres already enough money in the pot to draw idiots in with a draw and i hate being put to a decision on the river if the flush comes out
Old 06-08-2005, 12:11 PM

this might be minor but, I'd raise a little bit more preflop as this will allow you to get your stack in on the flop a little easier by increasing the size of the pot to make nearly any bet on the flop a pot-committing one

as it is, i think your flop bet is good if you're certain that it will be raised as this will allow you to get your entire stack in on the flop (which is what you absolutely want here!) ... once you are raised on the flop you need to push it all-in.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:15 PM

I appreciate all the responses, BTW - my NL game is successful so far this year (more so then my Limit game) but it's my weakest theory wise with no good 2+2 books on the subject -

gratsi....next time, go for the flop push....good idea.

RB
Old 06-08-2005, 12:21 PM

you seemed fairly short stacked here.

I reraise enough preflop so that my remaining stack is about pot sized on the flop if called.

Then I push the flop.