Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Moving Out

Why not tell your parents you will support yourself (food, rent, insurance, etc) and ask them to continue paying for your education?

If they can't understand why a college kid should be out of the house, [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I don't understand living at home, it boggles my mind.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not being melodramatic when I refer to misery.

[/ QUOTE ]
Being able to get thousands of dollars loaned to you at an extremely low interest rate and having 30 years to pay it off so that you can get an education is misery to you?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:00 AM

This seems like a really bad and stupid way to go about things.

Making a decision like this after an arguement is really, really stupid. Also, I'm assuming you're going to support yourself with poker, making 10k a LOT less money than you think. Do you have another job?

What about insurance?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:01 AM

Things are so hard to do by yourself without credit. Regardless of whether or not you move out on your own, I'd work on getting your credit up asap so you can do so on a whim or when you are done with school.

Blackjack
Old 06-08-2005, 02:02 AM

dude, if your parents can afford your education and arent willing to spring, thats lame. Get some loans, and move out. Be ready for more fun, and more responsability than you ever thought possible.

also, there is a chance this will help improve your relationship with your parents...

are you sure it isnt too late to apply for student aid?

peace

john nickle
Old 06-08-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like a really bad and stupid way to go about things.

Making a decision like this after an arguement is really, really stupid. Also, I'm assuming you're going to support yourself with poker, making 10k a LOT less money than you think. Do you have another job?

What about insurance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're missing part of the motivation for moving out for the summer. He's not claiming total independence from his parents but he wants to control his own life. I've gone through this exact same stage with my parents. I decided and told them straight up that I'm going to do what I want when I want because they no longer financially support me in any way.

10k is more then enough to live on.. If he plays even 2/4 limit and grinds out a few hundred a day, he'll be fine for the entire summer plus be able to make money for tuition. Just realize that you have no fall back plan if you go bust so don't get too ambitious.

Blackjack
Old 06-08-2005, 02:11 AM

I guess. Moving out of the house here would be the most financially unsound decision I could make this side of buying another car, so maybe I feel differently about it.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:37 AM

It's miserable to me because she allowed one of her loans go into default and interest compounded for several years before fully communicating the situation to me, but that is not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is really twofold...

1. Education is good, but uneccessary debt to pay for education is bad.

2. Augie's father probably has the means, willingness and even desire to pay for his education. My concern is that ego and pride are getting in the way of recieving a gift that is happily given. This has negative consequences for augie and his dad... Augie will be making monthly payments for several years to come and his dad will potentially be deprived of making a contribution to his son's future which he had planned for many years to make. Both will potentially experience a distance and resentment as a result of this episode.

I know I'm making a big assumption about Papa Augie's ability and willingness to pay; my arguement hinges on this. If this assumption proves to be false, I'll reevaluate. Till then, my advice to Augie is to seek reconcilliation before pride causes him to make a big mistake.

cbf
Old 06-08-2005, 02:40 AM

you dont want your anger to bubble up with your parents and explode later on. if you can manage, its probably a good idea to move out of the house as it will only help your relationship with your parents. of course, this is coming from a guy with no education. when i moved out of the house of my parents, my relationship with both of them (theyre divorced) was in shambles and we were incommunicato for months. now that i stand on my own 2 feet things are in much better shape.

$100/month for rent? damn!

also, it is probably a much better idea for you to get your own student loans. the interest rates on those things is a joke. i mean really, any student going to college is better off getting a student loan instead of paying for their education in cash, and investing that cash instead. discuss with your parents that you want to take out student loans and if they want to contribute to your education that you would appreciate it if they help you with payments until you are bling blinging and dont need their support anymore.

unless your parents are massively rich its pretty silly for them to be shelling out cash for your education when they can get a student loan for you, especially if you can get one where the interest rates dont kick in for several years.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:42 AM

Yeah dude, I wouldn't commit to anything yet.

Do not make any decisions until you're even keeled and ego/pride is out of the way.

Don't let stupid arguments get in the way of decisions as important as this.

The right decision is up to you, and it can work for you either way, but choose what's best when you're thinking clearly and without emotion.