Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: HOH EXPOSED CONTINUED....

[ QUOTE ]
Don't buy HOH2 until the second printing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I know HOH1 is entering its second printing I will buy it AGAIN to replace my worn our first edition. You guys are way too cheep, invest in your game and it will pay off. I own three copies of SSHE (one was a gift I must admit), two copies of TOP, and even two copies of SSII (leather and paperback, only because I don't want to read the leather bound edition).

I can't believe how often some of you bite the hand that feeds you. Have some manners. I have made considerable profits from the knowlege I have learned from 2+2 books, I'm willing to live with any small flaws contained within as long as the information is fundamentally correct, its still far better than any other publisher's books on the market.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe it would be a service to us your customers, starting with HOH I, to post online errata sheets on this website for such corrections that we could print out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I second that motion. Please do this. It is the professional thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. I'm an engineering graduate and all of the respectable book publishers provided a list of errata online so that students could make note of major errors from early book editions. That makes a big difference when you're studying complicated examples.

I've heard Mason say before that he will not be providing a list of errata even if he does make some corrections in further editions. He seems like a stubborn guy so I too will make a stubborn decision. I am not buying HOH2 or any other 2+2 book until they provide errata for the first edition of HOH. I already own HOH, SSHE and TOP and I thought they were all great poker books, but I don't see why I should buy more books from a publisher that refuses to provide known errata on his website. This is a decision more based on principle since I know that I could easily just go through the book with a pen myself and correct most of the small errors.

I was previously plannning on buying HOH2 and possibly GSHE for my girlfriend, but I don't appreciate the stubborn refusal to provide readers with a list of errors. I also second the criticism about the quality of the spines for some of the books, especially SSHE (an otherwise nearly flawless book).
Old 06-08-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe how often some of you bite the hand that feeds you. Have some manners.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most of us have made money from the knowledge we get from 2+2 books, but don't kid yourself - WE feed THEM. We buy the books because of the info they contain. If we stop buying them, then Mason and David lose a huge income stream.

2+2 writes books, we're consumers. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the consumers telling the provider how they can improve their product. It just so happens that the product has a lot more monetary value to us than most run-of-the-mill products, but we're still consumers, and still have every right to expect quality products and good customer service.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't buy HOH2 until the second printing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I know HOH1 is entering its second printing I will buy it AGAIN to replace my worn our first edition. You guys are way too cheep, invest in your game and it will pay off. I own three copies of SSHE (one was a gift I must admit), two copies of TOP, and even two copies of SSII (leather and paperback, only because I don't want to read the leather bound edition).

I can't believe how often some of you bite the hand that feeds you. Have some manners. I have made considerable profits from the knowlege I have learned from 2+2 books, I'm willing to live with any small flaws contained within as long as the information is fundamentally correct, its still far better than any other publisher's books on the market.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with buying another copy of a poker book when the second printing (with corrections) is released is that I always make notes and underline important passages. I use the book as a textbook.

I won't go so far as to say that I won't buy another 2+2 book, but I probably will shy away from buying first printings in the future.

Unless, of course, 2+2 decides to post a list of errors which I could print out and put in my underlined book. Newspapers and magazines publish their mistakes, and software programs post a list of known bugs. Walter Cronkite once said that all reputable publications print their mistakes.

The list of errors has to be created anyway in order to put out a corrected second printing, so posting the list would be incredibly easy. It would only benefit those who have already bought the first printing, it would not hurt sales at all, but it would further strengthen the integrity of 2+2!

A win/win if there ever was one.

-ptmusic
Old 06-08-2005, 05:15 AM

An online errata sheet would be the professional thing to do, bearing in mind HOH is now one of the top reference books in the world [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
An online errata sheet would be the professional thing to do, bearing in mind HOH is now one of the top reference books in the world [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-08-2005, 07:32 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
Hi Mint:

Due to the way HOH: Volume I was written, it was much tougher than normal to get all the "superficial errors" out of it. We are not happy with this, but believe we have (most) everything fixed on the second printing.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mason
When the second printing is out, will you post the "Corrections" (if it is many) here?
I know you usually dont do it, but since so many here who have read the book and are curious...
Regards
Matthias
Old 06-08-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow you totally exposed HOH! Great job!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was. Quite a nice smoking or pwning (what does this mean by the way) or whatever you want to call it.

Where's MM with our errata list? He's run for the hills!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:13 PM

I'm about halfway through the book and am absolutely loving it. I've only recently started to play tournaments, and this book is chock-full of useful information.

I did notice some of the errors already posted, but I'm an experienced enough player not to be adversely affected by them.

Having said that, I would suggest that 2+2 post a correction sheet here on the website. Doing so would be an inexpensive way to correct the errors and communicate the necessary edits to its readers.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wow you totally exposed HOH! Great job!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was. Quite a nice smoking or pwning (what does this mean by the way) or whatever you want to call it.

Where's MM with our errata list? He's run for the hills!

[/ QUOTE ]

You need your sarcasm detector checked...or maybe I need mine checked..