Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Re: The Move-Up Curse

I just moved up from the $10's to the $20's two weeks ago and finished out of the money the first six $20 SnG's I played. After 40 $20 SnG's I was finally able to get my ROI above 0%.

There are adjustments, not huge, but two adjustments I've noticed so far. Much like eveyone says, there's always one less person who busts out early (prolonging getting to the bubble) so playing a little more conservative early has payed off. Also I noticed I needed to have a more aggressive middle game at levels 4-6. Until I started getting more aggressive in the middle stages I kept finishing in 5th & 6th place, waiting for good hands to come...which never did. After raising marginal hands at this stage in good position (KJ,AT,QT,etc) I was able to steal some blinds and started finishing ITM more.

Just my observations from the past 2 weeks so take it for what it's worth.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:20 AM

a lot of people move up after they're running good...sooooo the downswing can seem like bad luck, curse, no skills(skillz), pokerstars has it out for your measily little BR. Anyone of those weird things the superstitious poker player like me and everyone else on the planet thinks. It's the root of all low self confidence...the button, the curse, the conspiracy. Play through it.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Solid players win at the 11s

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't play the 11s anymore because I view it as a huge crapshoot

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to nit pick but this doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, to the OP, you struggles could just be a battle with negative variance, but I think its probably just a mental thing that is affecting your play. I think it happens with most players as they move up. Just make sure your bankroll is healthy everytime you try to make the jump and you should be able to make it eventually.