Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: bank roll for multi-tabling SNGs

[ QUOTE ]
100 buyins at the 22s is extremely excessive. Try a moving bankroll instead if you are willing to jump up and down in limits. When you have $xxxx move up to the next stake, when you drop $xxxx jump back down.

Deep bankrolls are only needed when you don't want to move back down during a downseing. E.g, when I get to the $109s I want to stay there so will have a silly sized BR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im one of those that has a 100 buyin bankroll, and will only move up when I have an 80 buyin bankroll at the 33s. When you gotta live off your roll, you have to be that conservative, b/c you CANT afford to bust. I know I can beat the 55s right now for reasonable profit, but will refuse to move up b/c variance can severely hurt me in the short term.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
100 seems excessive, if you can mentally take swings, I really think 50-60 is plenty. If you are losing 50 buy ins you probably arent a winning player, and if you are not by much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh believe me, I AM a winning player, and Ive had a 35 buyin downswing already. I also wouldnt be surprised if a BIGGER downswing happens to me in the future. Variance is a lot greater than most people here are willing to admit. A bigger bankroll is always good, if not for practical, then for psychological reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey myth J/W when you have a downswing like this one .. at some point going down do you play worse or do you play consistent?
and how long \did your downswing last? like how many days
Old 06-06-2005, 06:10 PM

"When you gotta live off your roll, you have to be that conservative"

I agree with that. But if you can afford to move up/down in limits when necessary, you don't need a BR nearly as large.

I live off poker, but I've only just turned 22 so basically any limit provides enough income ($22s pay >$50) for me to live off comfortably. Really depends on the individual.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

hey myth J/W when you have a downswing like this one .. at some point going down do you play worse or do you play consistent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, my name is Myst, not myth. Glad to meet your acquaintaince.

I multitable like a madman (albeit not Raptor status), averging about 40 touranments per day. So the 35 buyin downswing didnt last that long. It was for about a week (225 tournaments), lol, last week infact.

I AM one of the most consistent players I know of. I dont pass up any edges, and I constantly review my own Hand histories to see if I make any mistakes. The only conclusion I came come up with is Variance. If you dont believe variance cant happen to even the best, then you are sorely mistaken.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:14 PM

pitt kid, unless you want to get flamed worse than you did in the previuos post, you should really start reading the forum before posting such simple questions. You have asked 2 of the most common questions on this board. Look around a bit, you'll learn a few things.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:15 PM

I'm 18, so thats true for me too. Just when you hit a downswing, it hurts a lot less at the 22s than the 109s.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing worse or consistent varies person to person.

It can last like a day or a year, depending how many you play in that span. But something like 400+ break even SNG's that include a 30 buy-in downswing does and eventually will happen >.<
Old 06-06-2005, 06:19 PM

sorry myth..
i review my HH when i get a chance.

but im not sure what you mean by not passing any edges.. will you go all in as a slight underdog but call because the pot odds justify it?

oh wait i know what you mean. because if you thought you had a bigger edge if you folded and played it out , you would fold..

alright GL.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
100 seems excessive, if you can mentally take swings, I really think 50-60 is plenty. If you are losing 50 buy ins you probably arent a winning player, and if you are not by much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh believe me, I AM a winning player, and Ive had a 35 buyin downswing already. I also wouldnt be surprised if a BIGGER downswing happens to me in the future. Variance is a lot greater than most people here are willing to admit. A bigger bankroll is always good, if not for practical, then for psychological reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with every bit of this 100%.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:32 PM

How about sng's paying top 4 like steps on party, and mini-steps with 5 payouts?? That should lower the variance a bit. But is it enough to counter increased variance of better, more aggressive players?

My instincts tell me yes, since the steps have a lot of climbers playing their way in, and the skill level is not quite relative to the buy-in, as it is in the 215s.

So lower bankroll for steps than regular sng's??