Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Got trashed for this one

Ugh... I just spent like 10 minutes trying to write a detailed reply about how I play AKo on the turn unimproved.

It was getting too complicated so I deleted it.

Bottom line... it's hard. My general philosophy is to usually bet when it's heads-up, and evaluate more closely if it's 3-way.

It helps if you have some sort of read, which you can use to estimate your fold equity before deciding whether to bet or check. Also consider whether you have additional outs, such as a gutshot. You may want to check in situations where you hate calling a checkraise but would like to see the river.

I will generally only check AKo UI on the turn heads up if my opponent is particularly tricky and/or aggressive, and is therefore capable of checkraising (or just raising) draws, bluffs or weak made hands.

Toning down your autobetting is probably a good idea, but don't get carried away. Most of the time you have the best hand on the turn here.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:04 PM

Turn decision is close.

Decision to type:

[ QUOTE ]
I said "as if you would've folded"

[/ QUOTE ]

and:

[ QUOTE ]
I said "you just did"

[/ QUOTE ]

not close. Don't do it. Seriously I can't remember the last time I typed in a chat box on Party. Maybe I said 'nh' once or twice but that's it.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-06-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are giving a free card though.

[/ QUOTE ]

operaman, the answer to the correct play lies in what you said here... think about it.

"Betting the turn, checking the river" vs. "checking the turn, call the river" both cost the same amount of bets.

The former line has the benefits of (i) NOT giving up a free card when you're ahead - as was the case here, and (ii) fold equity on the turn.

Adam
Old 06-06-2005, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How bad is checking this turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think it's that bad considering you can't fold to a CR.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:19 PM

I almost always bet/fold this turn and take the free showdown.

I fold UI on the river against most players if I get bet into after betting the whole way.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:22 PM

I think you gave this post away from the top the minute you said he berated you for the free card and he was full of crap being he did chase the hand BUT it seems a LOT of people are willing to take a card off to see the turn and he almost surely did it because of the raise he knew that you missed, BUT I would HAVE to bet this turn to keep the pressure on and let him think about if he wants to really get involved in the hand with his holdings, I personally would have checked the flop to see what he does here but Id call no matter and if he checked it also then Im betting the turn.