Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Tournament Tactics Question

push
Old 06-04-2005, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the BB is getting 2 to 1 but they are looking at a very big jump up from 0 to $18K if they just fold and try to survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 150K, they're not worried about 'trying to survive.' They have plenty of room to make a marginal call and still rebound without really jeopardizing their ability to get into the money.

Sklansky said they were 'typical players' not 'players who play too tight on the bubble.' Typical players are willing to look up the allin move with a rather large range: Any pair, any ace, suited kings and QJs, etc. On a live-cards/gambling basis, a push seems okay, but I might hold out for a more appealing situation with a suited 1-gapper.

Without more information, this seems like a fold to me.

Shane
Old 06-04-2005, 05:26 AM

The most important part of Sklansky's post is the fact that 27th pays the same as 19th.

Since 31 players remain and the main 2 payout jumps are from 28th to 27th and 19th to 18th, you probably want to stretch out as much as you can and just survive.

That said, you are giving BB and SB more than 2:1 to call, and them being typical players late in a 10k tourney will put you on a wider range of hands than normal.

The question then becomes, if not then, when should we push?

In my opinion, hero needs to wait as long as possible, so long as the hand he is committing all his stack to is a favorite when the chips are in. Even if that means calling the BB all-in. Whatever it takes to scrape to the next payout level and then gamble to get back into contention.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:43 AM

4 people need to bust out before us and nobody else is even shortstacked. There's no point in waiting around. Plenty of chips in the pot, lets go.

Push.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:23 AM

Push..easy push. I think when Sklansky said that these were typical players, it meant that they are keeping track of stacks and know you are about to go out. Therefore, hardly any of the players with more than 50k will make any kind of play to risk it all and get busted before you do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is discussed in TPFAP where Sklansky says its unwise to risk your stack on the bubble when one or more players are about to be antied out, but when you're the short stack, you should be aware that other players are waiting for you to bust out and you won't outlast anyone by folding great opportunities like this to open push, maybe steal the blinds and probably be no more than a 60-40 dog if called. In short, you have to gamble when you are short and everyone else has more than twice as much as you and you won't find many better opportunities than this in my opinion, especially if the money is still 4 spots away...no way 4 people are going out before you before you double up.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:52 AM

fold, your objective is to double up, not add insignificant chips to your stack. with 5 more hands to go before big blind, you're bound to pick up a better hand than 8 high.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:38 AM

easy fold

M
Old 06-04-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold, your objective is to double up, not add insignificant chips to your stack. with 5 more hands to go before big blind, you're bound to pick up a better hand than 8 high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-04-2005, 09:14 AM

With two 150k stacks in the blinds that only have to call off about 10% of their chips to look you up.....fold and hope for a better hand.