Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: I hate top pair mid kicker

Even if Hero is behind - which I don't think is automatic - to the hands you suggest, he has a decent number of outs to call the turn raise.

Villain called in MP3 after MP2 had limped. If he's loose and aggressive, I think we can safely rule out KK and AK, and probably KQ and 99. So, it is possible Hero is drawing dead to 77 or 22; plus drawing slim to K9 or KJ. However, Hero has outs against all possible 2 pairs:

K9: 3 tens = 3
K7: 3 tens, 3 nines = 6
K2: 3 tens, 3 nines, 3 sevens = 9

97: 2 kings, 3 tens, 3 twos = 8

If Hero is behind to KJ, only outs are the tens = 3

Pot is currently offering 1:8, which is okay especially considering you might even be ahead.

I'm still calling the river bet. I think you're good here more than 10% of the time.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling the river would strictly be because of the "one bet/big pot" effect. 10BB is sort of borderline for me -- I'd fold this in a 6BB pot and call a 14BB one. I note that the majority of the posts are berating OP for folding as a "huge leak", and I think it's closer than everyone seems to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think that you'll be good ~10% of the time, but if you habitually back off TP/decent kicker at these limits you'll be loosing money.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What "wide range of hands" do you have him on at the turn, and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I look at the OP's read:
[ QUOTE ]
MP3 is slightly loose but aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

the only possible set I can see knowing this read is 77(I think an aggro opponent would raise 99 with 1 limper, especially in his position), I don't think he'll be chasing 22 down later streets.

K9? maybe. K7/K2? I don't think so given the read

a stronger King, definitely not, villian didn't raise PF (so scratch off AK, KQ), and I don't think villian would wait till the turn to raise KJ

bad pharasing on my part to say "I put villian on a wide range of hands", so let me change that to "there are only two likely hands that beat us right now and the pot is friggin huge"
Old 06-03-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your river fold is awful. The rest is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think he's got K8 here?

It's not an awful fold by any means.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:45 AM

Any way to protect this hand?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:53 AM

Even if Hero is behind - which I don't think is automatic - to the hands you suggest, he has a decent number of outs to call the turn raise.

I know, I was refering to the river...
Old 06-03-2005, 01:55 PM

Could you guys please help me out -- which section in SSH indicates one should pay off the river when you're pretty sure you're beat?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:02 PM

I also hate your kicker. When you have a hand like KTs, QTs, ATs, you are primarily playing for flush draws. If you flop top pair (non ten) you have to check/fold because someone will certainly have a bigger kicker. I mean really, who the hell would even be calling a bet if they can't beat top pair/ten kicker? . Do you actually think they would call with bottom or even middle pair? That would just be insane.

Remember, fit or fold.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:06 PM

Can't remember off the top of my head, but they discuss it using an example of completing a flush when the board double-pairs and you're bet into, closing the action in a large pot. They advocate a call - even though it really looks like you're beat.

The main point is that you don't want to start emphasizing the "good fold" too much when pots get big. This thread isn't a great example, because a 10 BB pot isn't big at all.

For example, lets say you have a set and a very obvious flush draw comes in on the river and you're bet into by a player who has just been calling each round. Yes, it looks like you're probably beat but say the pot is 30 BB and you can call for 1 bet to close the action. Folding is a HUGE mistake, because your hand is almost certainly good more than 3.3% of the time.

The other end of the spectrum would be when an obvious-playing weak-tight villain bets into you on the river in a very small pot. Say you have a small pocket pair, but the pot is like 2.5 BB. Yes, the villain could be bluffing but the pot is small enough to just let him take it down.

There is obviously a large grey area in the middle, and the main thing that will keep you from paying off too much is good player reads and experience.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:07 PM

When an opponent calls the flop with two other players still in the hand, and then raises when a seemingly innocuous card falls on the turn, it usually means two pair or trips. You don't have anything that your original bet didn't suggest, and a fold on the river seems pretty reasonable to me. Why spew chips when the betting tells you that you are almost certainly behind? The pot isn't so huge that you should feel compelled to call.