FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Jury Duty

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your employer is obligated to pay you regular wages for serving jury duty

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's entirely true.

They can deduct your jury pay from your salary, I think. Though I can't fathom a company actually -doing- this, I think it is the law.

If you're an hourly employee, I think you are screwed however since I assume the jury pay wont make up for it and McDonald's doesn't have to pay you for shifts missed, I don't believe. They just can't fire you.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

ElSapo

[/ QUOTE ]

At my company we have to turn in the $15 that you make a day, and then they pay us our normal salary. I am a salaried employee, so I really do not know what it would be for someone hourly.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:20 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Don't know if it was their legal obligation or not, but I got paid in full by my employer and was hourly at the time. They also paid me additional money for any hours I decided to work.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:22 PM

I work hourly and got paid for 8 hours. Plus I got to keep the $20.

(I think a company nit-picking over the $15-20 you get paid to serve is retarded.)

-d
Old 06-02-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work hourly and got paid for 8 hours. Plus I got to keep the $20.

(I think a company nit-picking over the $15-20 you get paid to serve is retarded.)

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is retarded.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:41 PM

I just went last week for federal jury duty in Philly. Definitely bring reading material (book,magazine,newspapers) as the first day all I did was sit in the main jury room for 8 hours. Even if you want to get selected the chances are pretty slim. For mine they selected sets of 50 people that went to get questioned by the judge and lawyers. Out of all those people only 15 get selected to serve as jurors and only 11 or 12 for a cival trial.

All of the people that kept raising their hand when the judge asked her questions were immediately excused after the questioning period was over so if you really don't wanna get selected just make up some bias towards the case and you won't get picked.

The funny thing about my case was that the lawyers just selected everyone that sat in the front row to serve (there was 5 rows of us). They didn't seem to care to much what you said during the questioning period as long as you were not very opinionated.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:49 PM

I showed up 8 minutes late for my 2nd day of jury duty. Mind you that there is a mandatory 1 hour waiting time before we could have even possibly been let into a courtroom, but for whatever reason they told me it was too late, gave me a nasty look and excused me for the day. Not sure if that works everywhere, but worth a try.

Oh yeah, there's a 99% chance they won't let you on any juries anyway. I was 22 at the time and have a multiracial background, while everyone else was white and 30-55 years old. I didn't stand up for any of the many questions relating to biases and was still in the first group excused in both of the cases I sat for.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:52 PM

Don't shuck your civic duty.

However, if you don't want to do it, just be honest and I'm sure you'll get out of it. It's really very rare that 18 year olds make it onto juries.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:55 PM

A helpful tip to young liberals:

If you don't register to vote, you significantly reduce your chances of having to do that darn jury duty. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2005, 04:58 PM

I went to jury duty, and they said in 30 years, they never fined anyone for not reporting to jury duty. That said, if you are interested in the law, you should go.

After I was accepted by the judge and put into the box, the prosecutor immediately got rid of me (I am in my 20s). I have heard that lawyers don't like young or old jurors, so you will probably not be picked for a trial. But I found the experience interesting.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:20 PM

There should be a checkbox on that jury card that they sent you. There is one for something about being in a personal crisis or something. Just check that and send it back. That is what I did . I actually did it twice because they sent me another one about a month later.