Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Easy Way to Protect Pros from Harrassment

Create a seperate forum category for Poker Pros where those given access need to be authorized. Everyone can read this forum category, but only those selected can post. Everyone benefits from the pros and the pros are given a decent level of protection from the morons who don't see their value in a forum like this one. This also would not stop others from posting in a forum like World Poker Tour, etc. about what they read in the Pros' forum, so there can still be discussion by the masses, just not in the Pro's faces.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Advice on Moderating the WPT and Other Televised Tournaments Forum

[ QUOTE ]

my biggest complaint is that when a professional (like Daniel N/Fossilman/Annie Duke/Paul Phillips/Jennifer Harmen) shows up, they're generally taunted/trolled away again - it's almost as bad as RGP -

christ, I remeber someone ragging Jennifer for the choice of top she wore during some WPT event....WTF?

I wish we could ban posters making infintile/rude comments to those folks so we could get some good insights on here - I can think of a few folks brains who I'd like to ask questions who don't show up anymore. - but if all you can do is lock threads, I don't think that does much that can't be restarted in a new thread.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

EUREKA! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Ditto.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 AM

I believe you will have a difficult time implementing the actual change that would most benefit this particular forum. The main problem for me is decent topics that change to crap within 6 posts because two or three posters get into a fight. This greatly discourages further discussion on the original topic and even if it does continue, it becomes a real pain to read if you browse in Flat mode.

The silly topics do not bother me as I can avoid them easily enough, it's when the good topics are ruined that I get frustrated with this forum and leave. What can you do about that? I have no real idea. Locking the thread only makes it worse short term since it prevents good posts along with the bad, but I suppose if you locked enough threads gone wrong it would be less likely to happen. Still, locking a ton of threads will certainly cause cries of abuse and produce headache I'm sure you don't want.

I am grateful for your efforts whatever form they may take.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:31 AM

Why allow that kind of crap? Seems a lot of wasted effort and rewards the idiots.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What, if any, problems do you think the forum has which you think can be improved through my weapon of choice:

The heavy duty actions (like banning posters) is something I'm leaving to Mat. I won't be banning anybody other than obvious spammers (like our religous friend of the past week).

[/ QUOTE ]

What does locking thread accomplish- you're just looking to freeze out the flame wars when they start?

Are suspensions, rather than bans, a feasible method?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Easy Way to Protect Pros from Harrassment

[ QUOTE ]
Create a seperate forum category for Poker Pros where those given access need to be authorized. Everyone can read this forum category, but only those selected can post. Everyone benefits from the pros and the pros are given a decent level of protection from the morons who don't see their value in a forum like this one. This also would not stop others from posting in a forum like World Poker Tour, etc. about what they read in the Pros' forum, so there can still be discussion by the masses, just not in the Pro's faces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea, but I wonder if the damage has already been done? The only "pros" that post here anymore are Greg and Paul Phillips, and I think they are both immune to morans. An olive branch like this would be a good start, though.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:04 AM

Since it's a thankless job, I'll say 'thanks' up front for taking on such a thing. Unfortunately, I can't think of much you can do to prevent much of the crapola. It would seem to be an exercise in futility to a large degree anyway.

One thing I have found frustrating on other forums is that sometimes a thread gets outta hand and will be deleted by the mods. However, no notice or reason or anything is given about it. So people return and will search and search thinking "I KNOW it was here" but they can't find it. Just giving a simple (could even be canned) explanation or something would be nice.

Note: I'm fairly new here so if that business above doesn't apply...um...nevermind (said in my best Rosanne-Rosanna Danna voice).
Old 06-02-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my biggest complaint is that when a professional (like Daniel N/Fossilman/Annie Duke/Paul Phillips/Jennifer Harmen) shows up, they're generally taunted/trolled away again - it's almost as bad as RGP -

christ, I remeber someone ragging Jennifer for the choice of top she wore during some WPT event....WTF? - She knows more about poker then virtually anyone else who would ever visit this forum, and do you think she'll come back and offer words of wisdom? - - Hell no.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 06-02-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Oh, here\'s an idea!

[ QUOTE ]

can we have the option to block people with less then a certain number of posts? - get rid of guys who just come back every week? -
RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as a poster who does not like to frequently post as much as others, I don't think this would be that good. Personally, I am a quality > quantity type of person. If you post too much your thoughts become way too meaningless. And btw, having a high post count only means you frequently post. It doesn't imply you are a good poster.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had his power vince, there'd be about 5 people still able to post here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are the other four?

Vince