Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: ugly hand - big pot

I can't decide which is worse, the flop bet or the posters that are defending it.

Just check and hope you can draw for 1 bet.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't decide which is worse, the flop bet or the posters that are defending it.

Just check and hope you can draw for 1 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? Is this how you typically play a vulnerable hand in a big pot? Check-call or check-fold? On the flop, I have essentially 6.5 outs worth of equity (5 outs to two pair or better and a backdoor flush draw) to likely the best hand. That's about 25% equity, assuming I'm against a hand like a big pair. Add in the chances that I'm actually ahead, and it becomes obvious that folding in a pot this size is a big mistake. When that's the case, I have to protect my hand. The only way to do that is to hope that the original PFR will raise if I bet and thin the herd.

The turn card looked as safe as any. Why not bet it? I still may have the best hand (judging from the way it was played) and have to continue to protect it.

BTW, to people talking about 'the playing zone,' this table had an average VP$IP of around 50. The playing zone is a LOT wider for my opponents in this hand than for typical, sane ones.

d
Old 06-02-2005, 12:27 AM

Reasoning behind the donkbet on the turn then?

If you thought you had best hand on the flop should you 3 bet? If I had AT in that hand and was the UTG player, I'm still raising you on the turn, cuz that bet on the turn is just well donkey. I could see the use if you thought he had overs with just you and him in the pot, but you have a guy who cold called a raise on the flop.

I would rather check the turn and see what happens. If UTG bets and button decides to raise I dump it. If UTG checks and buttons bets I would probably just call. And if it's checked throught that is fine. Most overcard hands will probably still draw on you even if you bet the turn (QJ KQ AK AQ)
Old 06-02-2005, 01:54 AM

This pot was big enough that I didn't want to risk giving a free card. The donkbet originated as defense against the free card play. Yes, overcards will still call me on the turn, but giving a free card could cost me the entire pot.