Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2002, 09:49 PM

Default Re: turn plans gone awry :(

wouldnt this hand had been easier to play if you raised the flop?

A lot of you posts focus on making your post-flop play easier by raising the flop with a good hand. Doesn't this also make your opponent's play easier? When you raise the flop doesn't it let him know that you have at least a pair of Queens? Or a flush draw hand which could be open-raised such as AsKs. Aren't you narrowing down the hands which your opponent can put you on?

Wouldn't waiting to raise the turn make the play of the hand harder for your opponent? He could laydown a 6-out or better hand (not to many on this board) thinking he's up against something big like QQ, or AsKs which he is either way behind or drawing dead against but is actually drawing live against.

Old 12-21-2002, 10:23 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: turn plans gone awry :(

alot of my posts also show/acknowledge more than one way to play a hand and the reasons why for each play...

i also have a wide range of hands i may raise the flop with. not just good hands. in this example, he happens to have a good hand. i might raise with a midpair here too. or depending on the player, i may even bluff raise. the fact is, it's a cheap street to try it.

and many average players dont really differentiate between the flop and turn betting rounds. many, if they call the flop, will call the turn also with this board. NOT all, but quite a few.

the turn raise is fine. it's a much scarier bet to the opponent, obviously. and ive advocated that move quite a bit also in past posts.

most players wont fold a nut flush draw here HU. theyll see the river and fold if they miss. but here, you have an unknown. i dont like using expensive streets to test an unknown. and by unknown, this means i know nothing of him and havent picked up anything on him about his play. when i see the term 'unknown', im figuring this is the guys first hand, right as he sits at the table. since you can sometimes learn how a guy may play by just observing him at the table without him actually playing a hand. not his whole arsenal, but how his general play may be based on his actions outside the table.

the call-down and raise on the end is a nice play since it saves you some bets, but lets him semibluff his money away when he may fold to a raise. mainly, he's betting with the intention of folding to any raise...

as i said in my original post, there are a few ways to play this hand. i never said mine was the only way...did i?

the more i know the player, the more i can narrow down how i would play the hand....shouldnt your range of plays be a little wider against an unknown rather than a known? i think so...

b