Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: What makes a good 4th and 5th street player?

[ QUOTE ]
When bluffing have balls. Place that big bet in. I win a good percentage of my hands on semi bluffs or pure bluffs online.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, I'm guessing you dont play much SSNL online then?

KoW
Old 05-31-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When bluffing have balls. Place that big bet in. I win a good percentage of my hands on semi bluffs or pure bluffs online.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, I'm guessing you dont play much SSNL online then?

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 01:28 AM

Another key to playing well postflop is to know your opponents as well as you can. I know with multi-tabling it is hard to know all of your opponents. I try the best I can, though. I usually am typing in notes quite constantly while playing. Usually, it is , he raised on the flop with this when flop was this....

Or he raised $1 with this...... but he raised to 50 cents with this....

If you know your opponent raises $1 with he has AA and 50 cents when he has AK, just think how easy your postflop plays will be when you get in a hand with him. I also write down the people who bet their sets and people who slowplay them. It also helps to be able to type 60 words/minute.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:50 AM

So in a way the Super System NL Holdem section does have some truth to it? lol. Honestly the people I see who succeed at the sites I play at are the ones who seem to be reraising quite regularly, rarely have to show a hand, and once they do show one its for all someones money and they have the best hand. I realize that today is only one day but, I have been playing short handed today and have been doing very well. I have been limping in most pots from late position and even with some of my normal raising hands from early postion (ex A8s). I reraised more frequently especially when it seemed like someone was weak or I was in position and made a large bet that they couldnt call with just a marginal hand. The aggressor style seemed to work even though I lost two all in preflops with KK to AA within 15 minutes but, I bought back in and got more than just my money back. Thanks for the replies.

Mike
Old 05-31-2005, 03:38 AM

IMO there are a couple relatively simple rules to follow to help guide your post-flop.

-generally, if you're getting reraised on the turn/river, you should have a set or better. reraises (especially if more than a minraise) usually mean business.

-generally, be disliking the turn or river without a set or better. TPTK just doesn't look so great with 5 cards out. This basically means you're looking to wrap this hand up by the turn if its not too strong.

-Limp 22-JJ preflop. raise EVERYTHING else you play, and continuation bet it on the flop if you miss.

-6-max is all about aggression, about 75% of situations are raise or fold.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:36 AM

I dont know what a SSNL is but I play online and live. When I mean by a lot is more than 10% of my hands. They succeed many more times then not. So its +EV for me when I bluff. I keep track of it so I know. You CANT bluff at $25. at $100 NL you can. But I never overbet pots. I always place the sneaky bet bluff in. You overbet people get suspicious. You make your standard "I want you to call my made draw" bet then they fold. Whenever I hit a draw I take sometime to think about how much the opponent will call. Also when I bluff in such a situation its the same.

But most bluffs are draws on the board that I feel no one else hit 34s in the BB with a 956 board with 2 players. I will bet this.

Or 773 board and I got an ace. I bet this.

Or 773 board and I got 3Ks in the SB or BB, I bet this. Mathematically the chance the other callers have a 7 is small. so I bet.

But board comes K33 I dont bluff, much more likely someone limped in with Kx then 7x.

Also I dont bet into board that I see draws on with face cards. If I am bluffing and even if they have a gut straight they are still the favorite to win. Like KT5 board. Well they might have J9 and will call to the gut. So my pair 54s is losing. Any J, 9, K, T will kill me and since they are calling the flop I don't know what they have. I just make intelligent bluffs thats all. Not blatent stupid ones I catch people making all the time. I check a good deal on the river so I can let others bluff. They try about 1 in 5 times to bluff at the pot with some non-thought redicuolous overbet, I call and they are busted.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:39 AM

Hmmm I tried 6 max and full table. I must say I am more aggressive there. I dont find it any harder.

Do you make more on the SH tables?

The blinds come faster but I am guessing you play more hands.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO there are a couple relatively simple rules to follow to help guide your post-flop.

-generally, if you're getting reraised on the turn/river, you should have a set or better. reraises (especially if more than a minraise) usually mean business.

-generally, be disliking the turn or river without a set or better. TPTK just doesn't look so great with 5 cards out. This basically means you're looking to wrap this hand up by the turn if its not too strong.

-Limp 22-JJ preflop. raise EVERYTHING else you play, and continuation bet it on the flop if you miss.

-6-max is all about aggression, about 75% of situations are raise or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO a lot of this is wrong (esp. the 75% raise or fold part). i'm not going to get into it because it's too big a discussion for this thread, so just think of this as my .02.