Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: sigh

Dropped 5k yesterday over 5k hands. I feel your pain. No more 13 hour sessions for me. At least until next month.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:22 PM

If i had to reflect on the horror, I would say it took about 5-6 hours. So your (bb/100) is better than mine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But to echo goodguy's sentiment, it was probably a mistake playing *if* i wanted to finish well for May. For most I don't think it matters, but to have a nice number at the end of each month provides order and structure. Granted no one anticipates losing half their earn in a day, I should have thought about it first.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was probably a mistake playing *if* i wanted to finish well for May

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Granted no one anticipates losing half their earn in a day, I should have thought about it first.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I don't think you can be a GREAT player and think these thoughts. This is bordering on, "should I get up from a table when I win 25 BB so I don't go and lose it?" kinda questions.

Swings are swings.

Krishan
Old 05-29-2005, 03:07 PM

I agree that this line of thinking makes NO sense. If you are +EV you are +EV. You're more likely to win and have an even better month, than lose and have a bad month.

Keep it up Ark, you'll do fine. At least you have the work ethic to actually play, unlike me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 05-29-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are +EV you are +EV.

[/ QUOTE ] Most likely once you are losing 150bb's you are not +EV your mind is jello,you are not focused... your game and table image are toast. hit the showers and come back tmw and save yourself that extra 50-100 bb's.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I don't think you can be a GREAT player and think these thoughts. This is bordering on, "should I get up from a table when I win 25 BB so I don't go and lose it?" kinda questions.

Swings are swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fock being GREAT I just want the money consistently and in a fashion that allows me to to live a comfortable lifestyle. IF it is May.27 and I am a part-time player that has played well enough to make $8K that month I do not want lose $4K no matter what the 3rd to last day of the month.100/125/150 bets-maybe.If he doesnt need the money at all---sure but IF he plays for a living-this hurts bad. It would for me..

Swings are swings..that is so much bullshit. As a pro you need to manage your loses and self-confidence. Breaking down mentally on 27/30th day of the month doesnt feel good and it could not only hurt that month but make you limp into the next month mentally.

I'd rather suck up the ego and just take a moderate 100/125 bb hit and walk. That way you feel in control.To me a 200 bb day is a disaster-there's no rationale for it.

I want to feel decent about every day/week and month-the easiest way to do that is to control your downswings. Swings are not just swings they will ruin you if you dont manage them correctly but I'm more risk adverse than 90% of players...

In no way am I ragging on arkady ..he's one of the nicest guys in this forum. We all break down mentally but the best thing to do is learn from your mistakes and not let it happen again. When enough mental pain is inflected on you.. you will adapt if you want to continue playing for a living or you're gonna have to get a real job. Keep on playing higher too fast and taking 200bb losing sessions and you will be busted.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:40 PM

When I say great, I mean you are giving up an edge at the table when you think thoughts like this. If it's .1 BB/100 to quit when you are ahead, it might be .02 BB/100 to not play the end of the month.

[ QUOTE ]
As a pro you need to manage your loses and self-confidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm talking about. Saying, I'm up for the month, I'm going to stop playing is not self-confident.

I'm not sure we are on the same page here.

Krishan
Old 05-29-2005, 02:22 PM

Sorry to here that. Don't take it out on your dog. So you lent the fish a couple of bucks for a few days. They will pay it back and with good interest.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:24 PM

Hehe, Ill be honest with you. I am not optimistic about retrieving that much money in 2 days - given my track record, going to be highly unlikely.

My 2 dogs are safe though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2005, 05:01 PM

The swings in the game are rough. I broke the backslash key on my keyboard, after violently striking the enter key during one of many rebuys yesterday.