Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Wow, this forum is really growing

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is grossly unfair. Does it get annoying when an experienced postser sees posts about how AK sucks for the 100th time, of course. Does that mean that new posters shouldn't get the right to post about it as they figure out that it doesn't really matter that its "behind every pocket pair," of course not. Just because we got here first doesnt mean new posters don't have the right to figure it out for themselves also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well stated.

When I was a newb here I was never made to feel inferior due to lack of posting experience if I was truely trying to improve my game.

The only major negative side effect of a lot of new posters is the number of people who think bad beats are interesting, and that the forum will commiserate with their wallowing in self pity.

To those posts I believe quick and succinct responses are the best cure.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 05-28-2005, 03:40 PM

Do you think 2+2 might turn into RGP?
Old 05-28-2005, 03:43 PM

As a fairly new poster, I'd just like to say that I truly appreciate the help that you all have given me -- occasionally I make a stupid post, but I'm still learning.

Give everyone a chance!
Old 05-28-2005, 04:05 PM

My gripe with this forum are the threads I hate which are "official tournament" threads, sweat me threads, bad beat threads, and in general stupid question threads.

I learned how to play NL tournies from this forum. Particularly from Fossilman before he got famous and left us for the cesspool of WPT TV poker. But even without him there are certain posters I really like here but unfortunately fewer than there used to be. I guess I just don't find enough interesting situations in most strategy threads.

But an increase in population means an increase in noise. And noise is what eventually ruins all good internet meeting places.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:06 PM

Some of the forums already have.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I barely read this forum anymore. It used to be my favorite but there are so many stupid threads I don't come around much anymore. Ocasionally a good strategy thread still happens and I like those even with all the horrible advice they contain.

[/ QUOTE ]

On an off topic question: I've been drudging through the archives for this forum and have found some good threads amongst all the crap. But as I understand it, there is some work being done to create a FAQ/"Favorite Threads" thread for this forum like the STT forum has. Since it doesn't seem to be complete yet, would anyone be willing to send me (or simply post) a list of their bookmarks for the forum in the meantime?
Old 05-28-2005, 04:39 PM

Not really a great discussion.

I've been lurking around since 2001; back then different software, no registrered member IDs, and basically all tournament posts dealt with B & M tournaments; the first few posts about internet based tourneys were hardly taken seriously. Which is why I started as a lurker - I didn't get any tournament experience until the online tourneys started, the first ones as limit SnGs at Paradise.

Many of the - very qualified - posters from back then have abandoned the bulletin board, and - thankfully - many equally qualified posters has joined. Some - at least for a while - household names have come and gone (they might be in foras I dont subscribe to).

A host of ideas, that today seems banal, were not always. Over the years they have been discussed and honed by hords of enthusiatic poster, to become todays common knowledge. Knowledgewise today's tournament players stand on the shoulders of yesterday's - and would probably be able to tear up a B & M tournament anno 1995.

The life of this bulletin board is a steady flux of "new" posters, bringing a multitude of different experiences and backgrounds to play here. Whoever is annoyed by the "new" posters "un-interesting" questions can consider how many from the current roster of insightful members will be around here just three (3) years from now.

Or, if what they want is an elite forum, they can migrate to their own closed mailing list (by invitation only) for dissection of truly advanced topics.

I like it around here. I'm staying.

Best

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 05-28-2005, 05:47 PM

Then it isn't long until the blight spreads to the others. Where is that link to our salvation again?
Old 05-28-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if there would be a way to split the forum. Then again, all the new traffic will probably die down shortly anyway;.

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe make a subforum for official/LL/sweat threads? why do you say the new traffic will die down shortly?
Old 05-28-2005, 07:05 PM

these things tend to come in waves and 2+2 was just mentioned in sports illustrated.