Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: How often do you guys jump tables when they become rock gardens

Okay. But what if every poker table at the limit that you play is full of rocks? Do you just quit poker? At Paradise 2/4 during midday there is usually 4 or 5 tables running and they are all under 30% flops seen percentage. And at my local B&M there are only two 5-10 tables and sometimes they are both full of rocks.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay. But what if every poker table at the limit that you play is full of rocks? Do you just quit poker? At Paradise 2/4 during midday there is usually 4 or 5 tables running and they are all under 30% flops seen percentage. And at my local B&M there are only two 5-10 tables and sometimes they are both full of rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell do you play at Paradise 2/4 during mid-day?

This is where game selection comes in, Slater. Party and PS both have great 2-4 games (greater than 35%), but you have to be on the site at the right times.

Just don't tell me there aren't any good 2/4 games online. That's garbage.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so lets say u find a choice .50/1 table with 11 dollar avg pots, and 35-40 percent VPIP but as ur playing, the game drops down in quality and becomes 20 VPIPdo you guys jump ship or tough it out

[/ QUOTE ]

If there are still one or two 40+ VPIP players at the table I stay and make sure I try to isolate them.

If I'm in a bad position to do that, I leave and find another table where I have better position.

I do want to learn to play better against better players, but not right now... right now I need bankroll.

You do have to make sure GT+ (if that's what you're using) is not factoring YOU into the table, or weighting the average based upon number of hands known.

KO
Old 05-28-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do want to learn to play better against better players, but not right now... right now I need bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this infatuation with learning to beat better players?

Last time I checked, poker was about making money, not beating good players. If there are games full of idiots and games full of rockish TAGs, then you should be joining the idiot game PRONTO.

The objective when you get above 1-2 and 2-4 is to find the best games possible. To hell with trying to beat better players. That will work itself out.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this infatuation with learning to beat better players?

Last time I checked, poker was about making money, not beating good players. If there are games full of idiots and games full of rockish TAGs, then you should be joining the idiot game PRONTO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can makes *LOTS* more money playing $5/10 than you can at $.50/1. But if you want to have a chance, you've got to go through a learning process.

Poker is about making money *LONG TERM*. Showing immediate profit by beating up on the "wussy" games is -EV if you intend to move up and play higher stakes games for more money.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because if it's the tables average over all your session it doesn't count for much. Tables will vary enough during one sessions.

[/ QUOTE ]
GT doesn't display the stats for the actual table, but for the players at the table at the moment. This sucks because if you have 3000 hands on 1 players and only ~100 for the rest the table stats will be the stats for the player you have 3000 hands on. I don't even display the table stats when plaing, I check the players individually and when there's less than 3 loose players I leave. This is depending on what limit you play, though.

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars list tables with Players/flop, but I don't know how they calculate it

[/ QUOTE ]
I would guess they're checking the average over the last 50 hands or so...
Old 05-28-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can makes *LOTS* more money playing $5/10 than you can at $.50/1. But if you want to have a chance, you've got to go through a learning process.

Poker is about making money *LONG TERM*. Showing immediate profit by beating up on the "wussy" games is -EV if you intend to move up and play higher stakes games for more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

We agree on the above point.

What I'm trying to say is that you should definitely move up in stakes when you have ~300BB of that stakes. I've always preached that.

But, when you're playing your current stakes, you should actively seek the best games.

Example: Let's say I'm playing 1/2. When I get approx $1200 I should move up to 2/4.

However, my *learning process* should be when I'm starting out in 2/4, NOT playing in tougher 1/2 games.

You should never actively go out of your way to find tougher games at your current stakes. At the same time, you should never be afraid to move up in stakes.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:17 PM

Another thing that must be kept in mind is that after you've been sitting at the table for a while then the table VPIP should drop down as well. If I sit at a 2/4 table and I'm seeing 19% of the flops after 150 hands it's going to make that 33% table I sat down at drop below 30%. So really when you keep switching tables sometimes you're just running away from yourself.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:18 PM

At 1/2 I have started to consider relative position much more important. It's hard sometimes to find good tables, but if I can get a few weak players to my right, I'll stay in the game.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing that must be kept in mind is that after you've been sitting at the table for a while then the table VPIP should drop down as well. If I sit at a 2/4 table and I'm seeing 19% of the flops after 150 hands it's going to make that 33% table I sat down at drop below 30%. So really when you keep switching tables sometimes you're just running away from yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^ this is a good point. The table average is always going to go down when a 2+2'er joins.