Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Re: River line...

[ QUOTE ]
Does the average party 5/10 (I'm readless here) ever bluff check raise the river or check raise a 4 straight board with a worse hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

not often enough to make a call worthwhile, imo.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet-call. Most people bet out when they hit their one card straight because they are afraid you will check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think bet-fold is better than bet-call? Or do you think we can profitably call a cr getting 8-1?

Is bet-call is better than checking behind because we will be called by worse hands way more often than we will have to call check-raises? If so I agree with this.

Krishan
Old 05-26-2005, 01:11 AM

I said it in the other thread: good recent posts on river play. Tough decisions.

[ QUOTE ]
Does the average party 5/10 (I'm readless here) ever bluff check raise the river or check raise a 4 straight board with a worse hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if a C/R comes it is not likely a deliberate bluff check-raise -- i.e., Villain is more likely doing so based on a belief that he has the best hand but is a bit unsure and figured a river C/R had both a better chance of being called and a less chance of being 3-bet. I can easily see an unknown Party 5/10 player C/Ring this river with an A-rag or with a worse two-pair (something like J9). Of course I can see the same player doing this with a T, too (though I agree he is more likely to lead for fear of it being checked through).
Old 05-26-2005, 01:29 AM

With no read I never fold two pair here in the 5/10 game for one bet. I would call if he bet out and I will call if he check-raises me. I bet every time an unknown checks to me here and call a raise every time.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With no read I never fold two pair here in the 5/10 game for one bet. I would call if he bet out and I will call if he check-raises me. I bet every time an unknown checks to me here and call a raise every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have enough hands at this game to say so with any real authority, but I suspect that this approach is the best approach. In this hand even moreso -- I think the pre-flop play is very helpful in making our river decision easier (though not necessarily easy!). There was a poster who checked his option; and the BB also checked his option. An unknown in the SB holding an A could easily conclude, IMHO, that his TP is good here often enough to C/R the river.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:49 AM

without a doubt this is a bet. What to do after that is the tricky question. I always call the raise, but I really doubt I win the hand 1 time in 7.5
Old 05-26-2005, 03:01 AM

Here was my thinking. Notice that it provides no answer and I just go with the weak-tightie inside me at the end.

The straight will bet out more than it will CR such a coordinated board here, fearing that an ace has gone running for the check.

If the MP hadn't posted, I would say you can definately bet-call because there is no way the SB simply completed with Ax (x being the card making his aces up). The MP being there makes me worried his A9 just came in, but not having a read doesn't help me decide wether or not he is raising with just aces up here. blah

bet-fold
Old 05-26-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet-call. Most people bet out when they hit their one card straight because they are afraid you will check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are beat then you lose one more bet. If you take these bet/fold lines people are reccomending you lose the whole pot some percentage of the time. I can't see doing that. A lot of weird stuff happens in 6MAX and also folding on the river opens you up to take a lot more shots from others later on. Bet/call.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:06 AM

i think betting is auto - i call a check raise nearly all the time

i think you have enough to raise a poster and completer pre-flop

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 05-26-2005, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you have enough to raise a poster and completer pre-flop

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

[/ QUOTE ]

This thought also crossed my mind when i read it originally.