Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: I\'m Out/Some Thoughts (long)

Great post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Good luck on your marriage and life together.

The Shadow
Old 05-25-2005, 11:28 AM

Congratulations on your marriage and on knowing when to quit. I think that last skill is the most important one in poker, honestly. Good luck in the future...and when you come back, keep everyone around you happy, including yourself.

Have fun in the real world.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:20 PM

Great post, best of luck in life and marriage!

One question tho... if you've been so successful so far, why do you need to quit completely? Seems like throwing away a lot of money. If you were playing too much, couldn't you just cut back and mix some poker in, along with your other interests? Does it have to be all or nothing?

Just wondering, but I respect your decision. Thanks for an interesting post and good luck.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:30 PM

This blows.

I attribute about 90% of my success at the tables to you. In a selfish respect, I wish you could find a balance in your life so that you could still tell me to stop whining about my small sample size, tell me that my "hypothetical extreme posts" are useless (at least citanul is still around for that), and a plethora of other reasons that I tried my damndest not to take for granted.

I'm sure I'll see you again in the fall. I should be making a trip down to Providence to see Brian since I'll be at home. Maybe we can hit up a few of those $20 buy-in tables for old times sake.

Good luck to you Mike. It seems as if you're making a choice that will benefit you in the long run. And as you keep telling me, it's the long run that matters.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:39 PM

Good luck to you. I personally think that the long-term viability of SNGs (and MTTs) is far greater than that of cash games. In fact, it is one of the reasons that I switched to tournament play.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:55 PM

great post. i was going to cut and paste the best parts but I would end up posting the whole thing.

another thing to add is that i think the most important attribute for a poker player (after knowing the fundamentals and dynamics of the game) is resilience. i know so many people who understand poker and can win some money, but to a certain degree they just don't have "the right stuff". they expect poker to be easy. one thing i've said multiple times recently is that winning consistently is not as easy as people make it out to be. i think i am starting to get this attribute, after a long time of not having it and whining about downswings myself.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:07 PM

Great post. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:00 PM

Thanks mike. It has been nice talking to you and I can't wait til you take the game up again [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2005, 06:25 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Who had written something else but felt this summed it up best...
Old 05-25-2005, 06:50 PM

It's been awesome talking poker with you, you are one of harderst working SNG players on the board, and your insights and opponent analysis was always welcome and helpful.

Good luck with your marriage and whatever it is you plan to do with all your free time. Be sure to keep me (and all of us) posted on how things go.

-Apathy