Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: The tilt issue - need good advices

As soon as I realise I'm getting tilty (usually a combo of a bad decision which I'm not sure why I made and poker fatigue), I pull out a tight chart for pre-flop, and stick rigorously to it till I calm down. It's tight enough to be good for 20% of hands, and this is usually enough for me to use it for 5-10 minutes to start remembering what good play is, and stick to it.

Bad beats are annoying but they don't make me tilty, but I think like you, I get mad/tilty when I've lost and it's down to my own bad decision - either picking too loose a starting hand and then continuing to feed the pot if it gets raised, or betting on despite a bad flop/hand, or reading the hand of the opponent and then NOT folding when I read it as obviously better than me and the odds don't support continuing but I still do - and it turns out I read right.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:46 AM

i try to keep a full pulse on my emotional state and i really strive not to rationalize staying in a game when i feel any sort of discomfort. i know that if that initial discomfort does not dissipate after a few minutes that i simply have to get up even if it means not playing a full orbit. the money i save by not playing when i feel even the slightest discomfort is worth not playing a full round. if i see myself making a bad play after that feeling starts i have trained myself to quit and either change tables or just leave. i will not let myself go in for a full second rack if i have this feeling. this saves a lot of money for me. you can always come back to play another day or at another time. i have been in the same situation you are describing and i have pissed off numerous racks by playing when it just do not feel right.

the tilt factor is major factor that seperates winning players or even players from losing players.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:47 AM

If you are on tilt, don't play. Leave the table immediately. It is pretty simple.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are on tilt, don't play. Leave the table immediately. It is pretty simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man wish I learned that a week ago [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Help me please!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody, other than yourself, can help you.

A change in inner attitude and vision is all that is necessary. You must not insist that the world (cards in this case) conforms to your wishes. Certain things are within your control (quality of play, attitude, game selection...etc.) and certain are not (river card...etc).

Focus only on what you can control. No sense in worrying about the rest. Ever.