Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: The Oaks Cardroom - Emeryville (Poor decision making)

[ QUOTE ]
Who reads the Oakland Tribune?

[/ QUOTE ]

More people than the Daily Cal. The advertisements alone will tell you that.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:03 PM

Gimme a break already. Bring the whaaaaaaaambulance!

This kind of thing happens daily in hundreds of cases in hundreds of cardrooms across the country. Tho I understand your frustration here, you can't do CHIT about it, and making your third post ever on 2+2 one such as this doesn't do much for you except make yourself appear to be a whiner.

Once a decision is made, and the next hand is dealt, the decision cannot be reversed, no matter how wrong it was. That's just the way it is, get used to it. I've lost bigger pots than yours to dealer errors with bad decisions, and so have hundreds of other 2+2ers. So bitch if you want, but this vendetta against (whatever) cardroom is completely pointless. The poker press won't do CHIT about it, what do you think, they want bad press for poker?

Play elsewhere and be done with it.

al
Old 05-24-2005, 01:05 PM

1) This is not an isolated incident. It was not the first, but last.

2) >> quote:

This kind of thing happens daily in hundreds of cases in hundreds of cardrooms across the country. Tho I understand your frustration here, you can't do CHIT about it,

This is EXACTLY the reason I feel I must do something about it. I don't believe I'm the only victim; I think card room administrations across the country need to start enforcing rules properly, and the only way to raise awareness is to squeak the wheel about a particular incident.

I understand it may come across as "whining," but at the point you admit it is an incredibly huge problem, something must be done about it.

I do intend to play elsewhere, but the lack of measely rake an individual provides will send no message. Thus, I am attempting to influence other students to play elsewhere as well, which may affect their pockets somewhat.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:20 PM

If it makes you feel better, go ahead, but you are wasting your time and any resources you may invest in this. Move on.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:39 PM

yeah, cmon guys...$150! That's like two bulletproof vests!
Old 05-24-2005, 01:51 PM

I said it wasn't about the size of the pot. If they can do it on a 3-6 table for a $150 pot, they can, have, will, and do- do it on a 30-60 table for a $1500 pot. Although you may think otherwise, it would be real easy for me to "move on" or "give it up," but I believe in my cause strongly enough to do a little legwork. Writing isn't that difficult. If one player boycotts the Oaks, or some card room officials read the article and it prompts them to think about their policies, I would consider my efforts not in vain.

I'd also be willing to bet within the next 5-10 years, probably as no direct result of my effort, but all the same: there will be a unified set of rules for all card rooms in America. Any efforts toward that end, I could not consider wasted.

A side note, I feel like I'm arguing with bureaucrats. You guys are essentially saying that although the camera and rulebook legally find me correct, the administration not only has the right, but should be able to make any ruling for any or no reason. If even 10% of the decisions made by floormen are incorrect, that is millions of dollars put into wrong hands as a direct violation of rulebook and law. I don't see how the administration can admit it has violated the rulebook, and not compensate for damages. Just because it happens all the time doesn't mean it isn't illegal, or wrong.

-NM
Old 05-24-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A side note, I feel like I'm arguing with bureaucrats. You guys are essentially saying that although the camera and rulebook legally find me correct, the administration not only has the right, but should be able to make any ruling for any or no reason. If even 10% of the decisions made by floormen are incorrect, that is millions of dollars put into wrong hands as a direct violation of rulebook and law. I don't see how the administration can admit it has violated the rulebook, and not compensate for damages. Just because it happens all the time doesn't mean it isn't illegal, or wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed my point. I was suggesting that no one cares. Sorry about that.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. If you cant convince a board of 2p2ers that this is a big deal, you should consider whether you will convince Ms. Soccer Mom that this issue deserves even 10 seconds of consideration.

2. As for all your other blather, please repeat after me: "Life is not fair, I will never get my money back, and my efforts on this topic are a waste of time."

That is all.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:20 PM

Lucky for me I'm not trying to convince any soccer moms or 2+2 members in particular.

I only need to convince local players to drive an extra 5 minutes to the next card room or a single judge that the administration blatantly broke the law; which it did. I posted this here for sake of discussion, which it got. So far I'm very happy with my results.

-NM

Edit: I didn't see sfer's message. If poker players simply don't care about a poker issue that potentially costs them significant amounts of money in the long run, that's up to them. I just thought they might like to know.

By the way, I don't think it's relevant, but since people decided to attack me - I left winner for the night, and don't care about the $150.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:24 PM

Most often when people say, "It's not about the money," you know what ...

Sorry to take a jab. Couldn't resist, at work and bored. Good luck with whatever your intent is.