Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Live 5/5NL Hand - Comments?

Its not a horrible play to bet out. Many times you have people reraise you with nothing since they assume you are bluffing. I think a small minibet could actually be semi profitable here. But again its a marginal decision as i think doing either play will break even in the long run. Also, a lot what is going on here depends on my read. lucky for you its a live game and you can get a read on this hand. I would let my read dicate the play.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:03 PM

On the flop, I would probably bet out. The reasons not to would be, in my mind, to keep the pot small in case TT or A6 is out there.

As played, I really like a check call on the turn. Raising here seems very reckless unless you're against someone you know will pay you off with a worse 6. When he pushes in, there's no way I call here w/out a good read.

My standard line on a hand like this would be to bet out on the flop (I like to bet out a lot, so I may as well do it with my good flops as well as bad).

On the turn, I like a check call if you feel he's going to bet.

On the river, I like firing out a bet or check calling again depending on opponent. If firing out a bet, then most likely fold to a raise.

With that many limpers - your hand will be bad some non-trivial percentage of the time, so you should start worrying about cheap showdown value sooner rather than later when you are getting decent action.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:37 PM

Fold.

Stacks are way too deep (500bb) to even consider calling. Your almost potsized raise on the turn says "If you have a 6, I can beat that." With this much action on a paired board trips are almost certainly toast. The BB could have any hand here and my thought is T 6, 6 4, and TT as the most likely holdings. I don't see 44 pushing here as it would only be called by a hand that beats it which is a higher boat.

If the stacks were smaller (50-100bb) you would be calling as you just put 60bb in on the turn which would have pot-committed you. This is the big stack dance and you need to have the nuts or damn close to call this. I would drop the lower boat (44) to this raise. My bet in the end is T 6 which would make YOUR holding TT less likely.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:55 PM

nh
Old 05-24-2005, 04:05 PM

you called and he tabled T6?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:09 PM

Starting with the action on the turn, it seems that the common consensus is my hand is strong enough and at the same time weak enough to warrant a standard check-call, and river check-call depending on bet size...but does not warrant a turn check-raise (at least not of $300 anyway).

Does a turn min-check-raise work here ever? I'm thinking I will probably have trouble defining his hand if he just smooth calls and sees a river. If he is ahead this may cost me more money on the river than my check raise being reraised all-in on the turn - which I will have an easier time getting away from than a ~$200 bet on the river.

Anyway, the reason I posted this hand is I think I played it wrong by check-raising to $300 here. Seems to me that this line is -EV when most of the time my opponent will just fire something like $150-$200 (maybe $250) on the river after the $75 turn. Unless of course he is over-betting the pot hoping I think he is bluffing, but I didn’t think he was this sophisticated.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:16 PM

I would be very wary of putting in 2500 bucks into this pot against any player you don't consider to be a maniac. Decent players just don't bump a pot up from 300 to 2500 with a hand you're beating. If later in the session he does some things that make you realize he just drastically overplays hands like trips-Q kicker, make a note of it but barring any read I can't see a call being in order here. My guess is he has 6 10 or 64.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you called and he tabled T6?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, didn't mean to imply a hand result. I just felt there was a lot of value in jbrock's reply.

Hand result to follow shortly. I want to give some of the others the opportunity to reply first.

I really appreciate all those who have responded already. Some great replies! Thanks!
Old 05-24-2005, 04:20 PM

Are you kidding me with the check/call on the turn? Given no reason to think you're beat, you're trying to get chips in the pot with trips. Trips are cause to worry if you face a big reraise, but in most cases a worse trips is going to call you here, then call a half-pot value bet on the river. I think check/calling this turn is playing scared. Until given further information, your goal in this pot is to get a good amount of chips in.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:30 PM

Haven't read the other comments yet, but it sounds like villian either had the BB special (T6) or got lucky with 44 on the turn. Some may say pocket 10s are possible, but I doubt he would've limped against 6 other players with that hand.

Some may say that A6 or Q6 is possible, as well. But the fact that the TAG villian pushed behind your c/r on the turn tells me that you're beat.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I think you had to bet (or c/r) on the flop since you were up against 6 opponents; if you were up against 2, that would be different. Building the pot on the flop makes value bets that much easier on the turn/river. And if you get action back, then it's time to slow down and analyze what your opponent is most likely holding. Against the described opponent in this case, I don't think it's a difficult laydown.