Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Why am I so wordy? (does Bob have Tourettes?)

Honestly,
I think that 9652 posts since 9/19/03 is a little excessive. I think it is an attention/confidence issue. I am not going to be a smart ass and say some balls and puberty would solve the issue, but I'm tempted. In the line of constructive advice, I would say you need to find something else to do with your day other than watch TV, play poker, post on 2+2 and spend time with the girl. I would suggest something like taking walks in the park, exercise, I personally keep a number of pets and garden, or dare I say (dare dare) get a part time job. I have a full time job and all those things keep me more than busy, happy and balanced.
You will not last at anything without breathers for good mental health. This I know.
X
Old 05-24-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly,
I think that 9652 posts since 9/19/03 is a little excessive. I think it is an attention/confidence issue. I am not going to be a smart ass and say some balls and puberty would solve the issue, but I'm tempted. In the line of constructive advice, I would say you need to find something else to do with your day other than watch TV, play poker, post on 2+2 and spend time with the girl. I would suggest something like taking walks in the park, exercise, I personally keep a number of pets and garden, or dare I say (dare dare) get a part time job. I have a full time job and all those things keep me more than busy, happy and balanced.
You will not last at anything without breathers for good mental health. This I know.
X

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't sound like you even read Bob's post since you didn't answer his question, make a number of unwarranted assumptions about how he spends his time, and you also insult his manliness. Basically, you come off as an ass.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:04 PM

I am an ass, and I'm happy that shows through. I did read his post. I still say it is a confidence/attention (need for acceptance) issue. This is in spite of all the words. There is a proverb that comes to mind, I'm not sure where from, but it is of eastern origin, I think. It goes something like "He who knows speaks not, he who speaks knows not." I don't believe shouting obscenities while driving is a sign of any syndrome. I know I shout obscenities all the time while driving. Sometimes at other drivers, sometimes just to blow off frustration when I have a subconscious anger of some kind. Welcome to be being human. No one is perfect, but some are comfortable with themselves and I think that is at the root of what Bob's issue is.
edit: Thanks for the opportunity to clear up what I meant.
Sincerely an ass,
X
P.S. If Bob wants to make the case that he doesn't spend the majority of his time watching tv, playing poker online, posting on 2+2, with girlfriend time interspersed I will admit I was making unwarrented assumptions.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:00 PM

I really, really doubt you have asperger's syndrome. I work with kids with asperger's. They cannot interact socially with others. This doesn't appear to be the case with you. I've read thousands of your posts, and while often long-winded, I enjoy your perspective on poker, as well as your hit or miss humor.

I think more information on your childhood and type of upbringing you had would be extremely beneficial in helping discover the root of your issue.

But since you asked, I'd say you exhibit a great many symptoms of dependent personality disorder.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:48 PM

funny you should suggest the blog

http://bobspokerblog.blogspot.com/
Old 05-24-2005, 06:54 PM

I think the confidence/security thing may be a factor and I think the assumptions are mostly accurate.
I'm not insulted believe it or not.

I feel like a generally confident person. But I went through really tough streaks when I was younger of utter insecurity. In college I was about as insecure as they came (one girl called me the most insecure person she knew) and I decided that this was just stupid and I just decided to take steps to believe in myself.

I think the talking thing COULD be related to that somehow.

But there is definitely some immaturity going on in my life.
I don't have much of a social-life around Memphis to be honest...although me and the GF normally have a pretty good time.

But I do live kind of a slacker and less-responsible existence of playing poker and watching TV. kind of immature for 34 y/o imo. My apartment is a freaking mess too.
There is some social aspect to my life but not as much as there probably should be.

Anyway - the general point that I'm almost at 10k posts in such a short time....AND that many of those posts have been freaking novels...is not lost on me at all.
It's something that has occured to me on several occasions and i am similarly embarassed about that just as I was to be voted most-talkative in HS or when the girl challenged me to somehow not talk for 5 minutes or any other similar incident for that matter.

Talk talk talk.
The confidecne/security thing may have something to do with it too....but I also think it could actually be related to the twitching-tourettes partly as well.

---------------------

The little blurts while driving are not made at other drivers...they are just little mutterings...sometimes when I'm the only one on the road.

Just driving and day-dreaming and suddenly I say something like "i hate them all" pretty much under my breath and then I kind of look at myself and wonder "where the hell did THAT come from?"

-------------------------

To the other poster who suggested I get a blog.
Got one (listed in my profile).
It's bobspokerblog.blogspot.com

It is INSANELY long.

My very first post there (Jan 14 I believe) I basically explain that I feel REALLY freaking bad about how much I tend to dominate some of the discussions at 2+2. Even some discussions where I am freely admitting I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
So I wanted to get out of everyone else's way a little bit so that THEY could discuss things. and I thought a blog would be the way to go.

Well....it hasn't exactly "cured" me of my wordyness over here obviously. But the blog has received a number of compliments.

I have received many nice compliments along the lines of what steamboatin had to say. But I have had enough comments "geez...I just can't make it through all that. your posts are REALLY freaking long Bob" and I know that several others feel that way without directly confronting me about it.
-------------------------------

to the poster who suggested we might have discovered MicroBob syndrome.
I think it would be kind of cool to have a disease/condition/whatever named after me!!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:58 PM

hey bob,

I am generally of the opinion if it ain't broke leave it alone. You make a honest living (well, somewhat honest anyway), you have a girlfreind, you are on speaking terms with your family, etc. The only reason I would recommend seeing someone and finding out what it may be is on the off chance that it is something that will get progressively worse with old age. I'm the kind of person that would want to know and plan accordingly. If your not, then don't worry about it.

It's funny, I've been around about as long as you and have bout 450 posts. I guess I'm antisocial [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Steve
Old 05-24-2005, 07:18 PM

I guy I worked with when I dealt BJ told me has tourettes...but it's just in the form of little facial-ticks and a little weird noise he would make (kind of a grunt) out of the side of his mouth.

he said it used to much worse in him...but he has studied it some (since he had it diagnosed properly) and it supposedly declines with old age.
He's probably about 55 or so and I had never noticed anything about him...but he came up to me in the break-room (we were already kind of friends) and asked about my twitches/blinking/tourettes.
He's the first person to really come to that determination on his own and he thinks I most certainly have it to some degree. Especially so when I told him about the little blurts, etc.

The fact that my twitches have also declined into my 30's seems to support his theory that I really do have it.

Maybe it will come back later in fuller force. Don't know.
My great-grandmother ended up with Parkinson's and for some reason I see that as a possibility with me.
although I don't know if they are related in the least...she used to have ticks and it eventually grew into something different later on perhaps.
Hell, I don't know.

But yes, that's the reasoning why I have considered actually getting it officially diagnosed. Through my entire child-hood everyone just thought I had allergies (which I do) but if I have something I would like to know about it for sure and find out more about it.
I've been thinking that off and on for awhile though and haven't exactly gotten off my duff to do anything about it.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:34 PM

OK Bob,
I think we're onto something here. The comment about the apartment might be an indication that there is a self respect issue, too. I know at the low points of my self esteem, my living arrangements have tended to be piggied up. I can only speak to my own experience though, it could be nothing in your case but the fact you mentioned it points to it being a source of anxiety(?) for you.
You need to break your routine. Find something you are interested in and join a club (not poker). You could get a part time job, as I suggested earlier. You could go to school. If you like to write, which apparently you do, try writing for magazines or the local newspaper or selling pieces on poker to some internet sites or cardplayer...Most importantly, just do something.
You're first order of business should be to get out of the rut. Self discovery can and will come later. Push your bounds one inch at a time. The alternative is to stay where you are and endure whatever it is about it that makes it unhappy for you.
X
P.S. There is a lot more I would like to answer about your post but time is short now. I hope this discussion can continue.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:35 PM

Hehe, obviously Bob likes my suggestion.

EDIT - added you to my blogroll