Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Weird Satellite: 50% of field advances! Strategy??

[ QUOTE ]
Does your chip count carry over to the next round? If so I think playing just to advance is the wrong thing to do. If you all start with the same number of chips in the next round then play premium hands aggressively and stay out of marginal situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't heard anything about carrying over chip count to the final tourney, and I doubt it because there actually is a minimal prize for the winner of the satellite. Therefore they are playing out the tournament anyway, so almost everyone will have zero chips to carry over.

I think the sole prize in the satellite is an ipod or something, so I don't care about winning it. I just want to make the main tourney, where the prizes are significant.

-ptmusic
Old 05-23-2005, 07:00 PM

Apparently you have never played the step tourneys at party.

Your strategy will not work, unless the blinds are extremely small compared to the stack size.

That or your opponents are complete morons.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently you have never played the step tourneys at party.

Your strategy will not work, unless the blinds are extremely small compared to the stack size.

That or your opponents are complete morons.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, I have never played the Step tourneys, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. And how does the blinds-relative-to-stack-size factor into this?

ptmusic
Old 05-23-2005, 07:36 PM

I'm playing in this too. You in the one today? I'm just planning on playing horribly tight early, then normal MTT strategy later, while attempting to avoid coinflips. TBH, id imagine lots of players in this will bust early, so im just waiting to see how it plays out. If many people at my table are being horribly tight, i don't mind becoming the aggressor.

Whats your name on absolute?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:53 PM

I hope you don't mind, but I'd rather not say. I'm just an average player in NL tourneys, so I don't want to give out anymore info than necessary!

Best of luck to you today, though. I'm in the one tomorrow. Hopefully, we'll meet at the final table of the main tourney and not even know it!

Do you think my thought process is flawed in the earlier posts? I just don't see how it's really possible to end up in the bottom half unless nearly everyone plays the same fold-all strategy.

-ptmusic
Old 05-23-2005, 07:58 PM

i play as 'eddie12345' i feel it sounds kinds fishy.. If someone called that raised me, i'd pot it back up with hands i shouldnt :P

I'll let you know how it goes today - its starting now so will soon see how badly it plays or if everyone is just horribly tight.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:15 PM

I once finished 40th of 120 in a rebuy tourney that I forgot I signed up for. Sadly, I think your strategy of folding always may work. We know that you can fold fot the first hour of a party tourney and still be alive when half the field is gone. I think you are right, unless blinds increase rapidly or start high, don't even bother sitting down.

CSC
Old 05-23-2005, 08:22 PM

Steps tourneys have structures where sometimes as much as 40% of the field advances. Play at these levels becomes extremely tight, as no one wants to make a mistake and bust. You will routinely see 18 of the original 20 people in after 5 level of blinds.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:24 PM

Yup looks like you can fold into top half. So many bad players playing 'normal' poker. 460 in this, 160 gone in first 30 mins.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:39 PM

People don't understand the concept of top half advances.

Fentanyl36 on absolute.