Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: I\'d like to share an interesting quote from an interesting book.

[ QUOTE ]

How much was it? $19.99? Or $399.99? Just want to get an idea of how much money I'm missing out on because I have a conscience and don't make stuff up to sell product.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]
The guy is a big time scam artist. The Fair Trade Commission shut him down. Story here.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:48 PM

Short answer: This is total bullplop.

Long answer: The placebo effect does exist. However, it is nowhere near as robust as some would have you think. There are at least three possible explanations for the placebo effect: 1) As Trudeau says, thinking you'll get better makes you get better, 2) Patients will claim they're getting better because they want to please the doctor, or 3) Some patients spontaneously recover from whatever condition is being studied, and they would have recovered with a placebo or with no treatment whatsoever.

In order to distinguish between those possibilities, we should look at studies which have included both a placebo and a no-treatment condition. Here's a meta-analysis of many such studies. These authors conclude that placebos cause a mild improvement in subjectively reported criteria (i.e. those reported by the patient), but have no effect on objective criteria (e.g blood platelet levels). These results are consistent with explanations 2 and 3 rather than 1.

[ QUOTE ]
Most people speak words that increase body stress and turn the body's pH from alkaline to acidic.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is totally and completely untrue.

[ QUOTE ]
Researchers have concluded that speaking the correct form of words and thinking the correct thoughts actually changes a person's DNA.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is totally and completely untrue.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:18 PM

Reality is experienced through the aperture created by the sum total of your perceptive filters.

The largest perceptive filter you have going is your set of beliefs.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:17 PM

Yeah, but no matter how many filters you use, you'll never make Barbara Bush look like Angelina Jolie.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:17 PM

You should have quite while you were ahead. Trudeau's first quotation made sense.

The second one: "thinking the correct thoughts actually changes a person's DNA." This statement is absolute BS.

Regards,

Al
Old 05-23-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
RYL -
"Researchers have concluded that speaking the correct form of words and thinking the correct thoughts actually changes a person's DNA."

I doubt you are right about this. If you are you should provide some sources because it would be a major development as far as the Theory of Evolution goes. It's something I've thought might be possible but difficult to prove. If true it would add a major powerful element to the mechanism of Evolution that could explain the puzzling speed with which evolution evidently occurs at times.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

You're quoting the wrong person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. Right. My mistake. If you have the book and Kevin Trudeau provides any sources for that statement it would still be nice to look at them. Thanks.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-23-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"up to 40 percent of the time a person with a dreaded disease cures himself with his own thoughts!"

I would love to see the statistical evidence to back this up. I would imagine that people with more positive thoughts do better than people with more negative thoughts, but might that not have to do with A) they're not as far along in their disease, thus their positive thoughts are a result of the stage of their illness, not a cause of it; and B) they have more resources with which to fight their disease, thus have more objective reason to be positive, and thus have a higher remission rate because of their resources, not because of their positiveness?

[/ QUOTE ]

As best I can tell, the author of this book is gravely misunderstanding what the Placebo Effect actually is. All it is is someone essentially fooling themselves unconsciously into believing that they're being healed. The author misinterprets this as meaning "healing oneself with one's thoughts", as if you could heal an ailment on which the placebo effect is known to operate simply by retiring to the woods and meditating ("I think I can, I think I can.."), which is just silly.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have quite while you were ahead. Trudeau's first quotation made sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if he's selling something.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How much was it? $19.99? Or $399.99? Just want to get an idea of how much money I'm missing out on because I have a conscience and don't make stuff up to sell product.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

23.99 @ amazon.com.

At the end of the book he lists 100's of books as sources.

The book is definitely biased, but he makes some really great points, and some ridiculous ones. You really need to have an open mind when you read this book.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:16 AM

Words do have power, but they don't usually perform miracles. The second tier seats on airlines are called "coach" because noone wants to sit in second class. I read a story long time ago that they named a hospital "hospital for incurable diseases" and most of the people admitted to it died. They then renamed the hospital "sunnyvale" and the death rate dropped dramatically. Coincidence? maybe...maybe not...The part about the dna changing doesn't make sense. The immune system maybe...The will to live...maybe

my 2cents