Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 02:21 AM

Default what was i to do

im playing a live 100 buyin nl hold em at local cardroom. blinds are 1-1-2. ive got most at table with about 500. i catch ak offsuit in big blind and raise to 12. 3 people call and the 4th sitting right next to me sez pot odds makes him call.
flop..3 3 A
udg checks, next guy bets 20, man to my right makes it 80, i jam the pot. he has about 300 back also.
other 2 fold and man to my right calls time. ponders for awhile asks if i have aces, the usual shat..finally he makes the call and turns over 3-6 off. turn n river produce nothing and my chips push over to him.
where did i go wrong here. 12 is a pretty standerd raise at this table that i was at for probably 3 hrs now. theres no way to put him on a 3 in a raised pot, should i have gotten away from the hand? insight would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: what was i to do

Behind a bet and a raise, you need to seriously consider that someone has a 3. Pushing here accomplishes nothing. You're either getting called by a better hand and drawing to two outs, or forcing a weaker ace to fold.

Also, the action is confusing. You say you're the big blind, but you also say that there is a check, a bet, and a raise before the action gets to you on the flop. Please clarify, as this is important.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:56 AM

my mistake im button, i was last to act. the only thing i could put the guy on was a weaker ace, i would never imagine a 3 in a raised pot.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:18 AM

If you put him on a weaker ace, why wouldn't you just call? He's only got 3 outs if your read is correct, giving him a terrible price on his draw. Pushing here dramatically decreases your chances of him calling with an inferior hand. Also, if it's clear to me that you will push with top pair top kicker on the flop, with $300 behind me, I'm calling you every time for $12 with any two cards.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:42 AM

you make a good point...personally i thought i had him beat, id rather jam a pot and get him to fold to take it right there to avoid any chance of suck outs...
Old 05-23-2005, 03:51 AM

so basically your pushing all ur chips in because ur scared of getting 3 outered?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:27 PM

Theory of Poker
Old 05-23-2005, 04:24 AM

short answer

u fold
Old 05-23-2005, 05:34 AM

As others have told you, this is a bad bad spot to put in a third raise. Best play is to call. I think it's a little too early to fold, I would like to see what develops on the turn first.