Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Set of tens on the turn, did I extract the most money?

here, lets try again -

In general, in microlimit holdem against normal loose and passive opponents, try not to be concerned with "tipping your hand". Instead, in times when you believe your hand to be best (such as this example), focus on getting as much money in the pot. Don't slowplay mosnster hands, and don't worry about "losing customers" or "tipping your hand". They will call, that is what they do. And when they are aggressive, they will raise so you can 3-bet.

This is a perfect example of where you should bet and hope to 3-bet. You have someone an aggressive player acting last who you think will raise, and a calling station trapped in between you two. Check raising the aggressor will only make it more likely that the calling station will fold.

But I think you knew all of this...
Old 05-23-2005, 01:33 AM

That's much better [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also being new, I have found the greatest help to my game is replying blind to posts here. The call it grunching, named for the pooh-bah who suggested it as a learning tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice, I've read before that I should do that, but I've got to admit, I'm intimidated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But I'll still try and start doing it.

I've read many books, I read here a lot, I've had good success at the 0.50/1.00, but moving up has been quite a roller coaster. I tried 1/2 full ring and 1/2 six max. Had a great start, even got enough of a bankroll for 2/4.

Then I hit a major downswing, got my butt kicked real bad. I went on a 225BB downswing at 1-2 six-max and a 55BB downswing at 1-2 full ring. So I did what every newbie does and decided to give 2-4 a try to shake things up. I lost 77BB in 500 hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So I went back to 0.50/1.00 to regain my confidence and I decided to cash out everything except 300BB for 1-2 full ring. I think I've given up on 6-max, the variance are too hard to handle. So now I'm playing only one table of 1/2 full ring and I review all my hands after a session, I want to be able to lose that feeling of fear I started having after the downswing. So far so good...

Sorry for the rant...
Old 05-23-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured it out after reviewing the hand, but somehow, I don't know why, I didn't play it like that. I guess I got excited to make my hand in such a bit pot. Of course, those kind of hands don't come up often, but it really pisses me off to see that I misplayed it.

Getting some heat about it here might help me think more before I act next time... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What does your post accomplish?

[/ QUOTE ]

It made me laugh.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured it out after reviewing the hand, but somehow, I don't know why, I didn't play it like that. I guess I got excited to make my hand in such a bit pot. Of course, those kind of hands don't come up often, but it really pisses me off to see that I misplayed it.

Getting some heat about it here might help me think more before I act next time... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens. Often we figure out the correct play after the fact. "In the heat of battle" it's easy to miss things - thats why we post and discuss hands - so that it'll be easier to determine the correct play the next time. Hey, at least you won the pot (hopefully).

"Getting some heat about it here might help me think more before I act next time... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] "

thats why we're here....
Old 05-23-2005, 09:24 AM

I would Raise and fold to a 3-Bet on the flop.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With all due respect, does this in any way provide substantive material beneficial to this community?

Or are you just trying to demonstrate that sometimes a pocket pair can make a set that will win?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think sets are probably the most commonly misplayed hand at micro limits. I think probably half of them with more than 1 opponent have errors. In this hand leading the turn is a little better than cring because of the 3rd player.

Krishan
Old 05-23-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, at least you won the pot (hopefully).

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I won, he mucked, but the hand history showed he had AQ.