Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Might be forfeiting my WSOP Main Event seat, am I crazy?

[ QUOTE ]
The things that I regret the most in life were not for the most part the things that I did, or the chances that I too, but the things that I didn't do and the opportunities that I let slip by. I could have changed my life forever a few years out of school and instead went for the "steady employment" and normal life routine. I would give anything to go back and do what I really wanted to do.

Find a way to get the time off, or tell them that you have a "previous commitment" that you must have the week off or you can't take the job.

If you finish in the money at all, that is 10K for a week's work instead of 20K for three months. If you do better, you may earn more than you would all summer.

Even if you bust out the first day, you will have an experience, one that may not come this way again. You can always find another day job.

Take it from someone who "sleptwalked" her way through life way too long; live your dream NOW!

Shauna

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best post in the thread. Play the Fing tourney. Try to keep the job, but play the fucker.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The things that I regret the most in life were not for the most part the things that I did, or the chances that I too, but the things that I didn't do and the opportunities that I let slip by. I could have changed my life forever a few years out of school and instead went for the "steady employment" and normal life routine. I would give anything to go back and do what I really wanted to do.

Find a way to get the time off, or tell them that you have a "previous commitment" that you must have the week off or you can't take the job.

If you finish in the money at all, that is 10K for a week's work instead of 20K for three months. If you do better, you may earn more than you would all summer.

Even if you bust out the first day, you will have an experience, one that may not come this way again. You can always find another day job.

Take it from someone who "sleptwalked" her way through life way too long; live your dream NOW!

Shauna

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best post in the thread. Play the Fing tourney. Try to keep the job, but play the fucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll always regret having not played, and regret sucks. There will be other jobs and career opportunities. You shouldn't be thinking that this decision can somehow derail or seriously hurt your career / future.

I would be upfront with them and tell them exactly what is at stake here. You have a previous commitment with a value of $10k+. Hell, tell them you paid the entry fee out of pocket. Tell them you'll work a few 7 day weeks to make up for the time that you'll miss.

Besides all that, you're a gambler, right? Go to the series and let the chips fall where they may. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
take the job and get sick the week of the WSOP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, i don't know for sure, however, a friend applied for a similar job in another region within Mass and they were against time off. If it comes down to it I believe I will just take the job and cry all week of the main event, then regret it for the rest of my life, hah.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

It is better to regret the things you didn't do, then to regret the things you did.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:07 PM

You're nuts if you go for the job, sensible normal option as it may be.

You're passing up 11k value in the hand so you can go work for 3 months to get 20k...?! Sling the job interview, go to the WSOP, and when that's over, play poker for the summer and make 30k...in addition to anything you might make if you money in vegas...!

I'm disappointed in your thinking process.. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

edit: 30k may be an overestimate; diunno what you play. But forfeiting the seat effectively means you're only gonna be gaining 9k for your 3 months work.

2nd edit: Besides, you'll prob regret it for the rest of your life, hah. if you pass up the WSOP. You'll be miserable the whole WSOP ME week and always think..What if, What if..! How do you assign value to that...!?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:20 PM

I vow if you take the job, and I end up winning, I promise I will say "It coulda been you, Jurollo" in my post tourney interview. I have such schadenfraude.

In all honesty...take the job. If nothing else, take it, find one day vacation to go to your day 1 seat, and move all in every hand, followed by showing each hand. Hey, it'd be a hell of a lot of fun to see how the other players handle it, and more enjoyable than just forfeiting.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:28 PM

There's plenty of time to be "responsible" later in life, so do what you want.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:38 PM

Take the Job, dont tell them ur planning on going to WSOP. When the time comes, go no matter what they say. If u work hard up til then u'll have a better chance of getting the job back. The WSOP can change ur life forever, look at David Williams. He was in college too.

After the tourney, go back and try to make amends, if not oh well there are many jobs out there.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take the Job, dont tell them ur planning on going to WSOP. When the time comes, go no matter what they say. If u work hard up til then u'll have a better chance of getting the job back. The WSOP can change ur life forever, look at David Williams. He was in college too.

After the tourney, go back and try to make amends, if not oh well there are many jobs out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could always say you need to go to your sister's wedding in vegas or something like that (or cousin or something).
Old 05-22-2005, 10:34 PM

I would atleast find a way to play day 1. If they sell it out at 6600 entrants, they will need to eliminate atleast 67% of the field on day 1. Play to win. If you lose catch the next flight back.

I agree the job is great but even in a serious job they should allow for a student to have a week of vacation sometime during their summer, as long as they know about it ahead of time.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 PM

Day "1" could be any of three different days.

Jurollo COULD try and pitch to Harrah's to let him use his Seat next year .... good publicity angle.

Maybe the site you won it from will step up and GIVE you the $10,000.

Truepoker CEO