Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Find the fish (is it me)?

well, it did play out in quasi-Lori-style...

BTW, the BB said right before he went all-in: "my set of sevens cant be that worthless," so I was a bit concerned at that point, but all's well that ends well:

Turn: (t940) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

River: (t940) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

Final Pot: t940

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 7h 7c (full house, sevens full of fours).
UTG has 9h 9c (two pair, nines and fours).
MP1 has 8s 9s (flush, king high).
Hero has 4c 4s (four of a kind, fours).
SB has Js 6s (flush, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins t3350. </font>

The funny part is that the guy that raked me over the coals was the SB...
Old 05-21-2005, 06:47 PM

At a $20+2 table, your play is perfect. Partly because the other players might be clods . . . partly because you've got enough outs to justify being in a multiway pot against the straight . . . but also because the stakes are small enough that a little extra adrenaline won't bankrupt you forever and might give you a hand memorable enough to brag about.

When your buyin is a month's rent, then you can sweat it.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:56 PM

my guess is that someone had the straight and someone sucked out and hit the flush. your play is fine. there are more than enough people at the 22s who will go in with any 5 at this level to make it a profitable move.....if you dont agree, just watch a few of you summaries in the replayer and realize how bad they are.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:03 PM

I just spent 2 minutes looking at those bouncing boobies.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:12 PM

I was of mixed opinions, kind of careening back and forth, of your flop play here. I first favored the all-in, then didn't, then did again. With so many people in the pot, it's not really all that unlikely that SOMEbody is going to hit a straight or flush in the next two cards. And the pot is big enough to be well worth winning on its own.

So not re-raising would be in some ways equivalent to giving a free card.

And re-raising would give you a chance to maximize your earn.

And if you're beat or are gonna get beat, well, there's no real way around it; you're definitely not dumping the hand just for a bet and a raise.

So raising all-in does seem like a good move to me. If there weren't so many dang guys behind you yet to act, I might think differently. But with such low trips, you don't need to try to outlive a hundred monkeys just to collect your money.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:15 PM

You are not the fish!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]