Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: The first flaw in Sklanskyanity

1) If a higher being exists and created us, why hasn't he contacted us.

2) Why do you think 7 and 8 are new?
Old 05-21-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I have said before, it was much more reasonable to be fervently religious hundreds of years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is pretty commonly accepted. It basically pokes a bunch of huge holes in the "x old famous person was religous so I will be (or you should be)" crippling an argument that already blew as merely an appeal to authority.

[ QUOTE ]
The explanation for this is either that Christians are less intelligent or (more likely) that their faith makes them less curious about finding the truth about things since they think they basically already know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not one following the other? Nature vs. Nurture and use it or lose it arguments comign in to play.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither do we.

Keep tapping.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:29 PM

Tu Chez
Old 05-21-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think this is pretty commonly accepted. It basically pokes a bunch of huge holes in the "x old famous person was religous so I will be (or you should be)" crippling an argument that already blew as merely an appeal to authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did science explain existence? I missed that part. The mysteries we have today are easily as large and complex as the mysteries from hundreds and thousands of years ago. And atheists have been around as long as theists. If theists were being reasonable because of mystery, were atheists therefore unreasonable? If so, then the reasons for their atheism would still be unreasonable today.

The great myth of modern science is that science has answered any ultimate question about reality, let alone all of them. Every new law discovered exposes even more new mysteries.

The second great myth is that even if man hasn't yet become god, he someday will.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:20 PM

1) If a higher being exists and created us, why hasn't he contacted us.

2) Why do you think 7 and 8 are new?

1. Who knows. Maybe because he can't. Maybe because there are trillions of different planets with conscious beings and none are that important to him. Maybe he DID. What he didn't do is tell anybody that believing in him is necessary to get to heaven.

2. I don't know if they are or not. We are talking here about being rewarded or punished soley because of the good minus the bad you have done regardless of your beliefs. Who espuouses that? Even if there was already such a religion, I doubt that they also espouse points 1-6.

By the way Not Ready, if you want to convert to Sklanskyanity, you don't have to give up your Jesus you know. Just don't use him as an subconscious excuse to be a bad boy.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:28 PM

"The second great myth is that even if man hasn't yet become god, he someday will."

What else could the great plan be? You know, the great plan God has for Man? The Great Plan that gives my life meaning. Is that plan that Man be happy and worship God? Don't you find that a rather unimaginative ambition for a great higher being? If that's it, I'm very underwhelmed.
Tap Tap Tap.
X
Old 05-21-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Who knows. Maybe because he can't. Maybe because there are trillions of different planets with conscious beings and none are that important to him. Maybe he DID. What he didn't do is tell anybody that believing in him is necessary to get to heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then by Occam's Razor(which I deny is some sort of magical, absolute law) why bring him into the picture at all? Who needs him? Further, if he hasn't contacted us, how do we know we've been good enough to merit reward? How do we even know what IS good?

[ QUOTE ]

Who espuouses that?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, start with Plato and work forward. You would probably get a similar answer from the majority of church goers in this country.

[ QUOTE ]

Just don't use him as an subconscious excuse to be a bad boy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really don't understand Christianity do you?

As to the PhD thing, a more reasonable explanation is that legal immigrants tend to have more intelligence, drive, energy, motivation and curiosity than people who don't immigrate. Another is that both Asians and Jews have a background of deprivation, economically and socially, and thus have more motivation for advancement. The silly idea that faith stunts intellectual curiosity doesn't even amount to a bad guess.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't you find that a rather unimaginative ambition for a great higher being?

[/ QUOTE ]

You find the universe, man, human history unimaginative?
Old 05-21-2005, 01:38 PM

Sometimes.