Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: James Cramer is a knowledgable stock trader. LOOK at my post!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I half way agree with this and I will try to explain. Cramer seems to have a real talent for timing the market and playing the whole sector rotation game. I dont understand why everyone says he failed as a money manager, I know two people who invested with cramer & berkewitz (sp?) and both of them put 1MM in his fund when he first started and they cashed out 6MM when he finally left. After cramer left they both left 1MM in the fund for the other guy to run and he never could get anything going and managed to lose 200M. I think Cramer was a very succesfull manager and his reasons for quitting were much deaper than most people see. I think he loves being in the spotlight (madmoney) much more than he enjoyed running his own fund.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we say charitable trust fund?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Cramer could manage a successful hedge fund...
With his profile and sales skills...
He'd be managing billions today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a successful fund manager is more about being a good salesman than being good at picking stocks...unfortunately.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I half way agree with this and I will try to explain. Cramer seems to have a real talent for timing the market and playing the whole sector rotation game. I dont understand why everyone says he failed as a money manager, I know two people who invested with cramer & berkewitz (sp?) and both of them put 1MM in his fund when he first started and they cashed out 6MM when he finally left. After cramer left they both left 1MM in the fund for the other guy to run and he never could get anything going and managed to lose 200M. I think Cramer was a very succesfull manager and his reasons for quitting were much deaper than most people see. I think he loves being in the spotlight (madmoney) much more than he enjoyed running his own fund.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we say charitable trust fund?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I mean by this is I totally agree with what joshman1204 is saying. I think Jim Cramer really wants to help people who need help the most. He could CHOOSE to do his own fund, but I believe he CHOSE to help those which he believes needs it most.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know two people who invested with cramer & berkewitz (sp?) and both of them put 1MM in his fund when he first started and they cashed out 6MM when he finally left. After cramer left they both left 1MM in the fund for the other guy to run and he never could get anything going and managed to lose 200M. I think Cramer was a very succesfull manager and his reasons for quitting were much deaper than most people see. I think he loves being in the spotlight (madmoney) much more than he enjoyed running his own fund.

[/ QUOTE ]

The kind of vague hearsay in the 1st sentence...
Plus $1.00...
Will get you a coffee at Starbucks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

"Stock Picking"/"Sector Rotation" is a grind it out strategy...
That MAY outperform the market by 5-10%. Maybe.

Cramer was probably tired of the pressure.
Then "thestreet.com" turned the corner...
And he went into show business.

Cramer is a lot like Sklansky.
Is DS ranked in the Top 100? Top 1000?

Those that can't... teach.

rm+

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a successful fund manager is more about being a good salesman than being good at picking stocks...unfortunately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...
But salesmen do not run hedge funds.

Salesmen set up "skimming operations".

90% of all mutual and hedge funds out there...
Are pure "skimming operations".

You get whatever the market returns...
Less fees.

If people are not doing sophisticated, highly computerized quantitative analysis...
As a basis for "risk arbitrage"...
Then they are just salesmen running a "skimming operation".

People who claim to be "stock pickers"...
Are running "skimming operations".

Remember Edward Thorpe?
Beat the Dealer?
The father of card counting?

He's been running a true hedge fund for 20 years.
Google him... he's the best.

rm+

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a professional trader...
And James Cramer is one of my favorite entertainers.

But Cramer failed as a money manager.

The idea that you can profit...
From stock picks that you hear about on Mad Money...
Is hopelessly naive.

By the time you are buying the stock...
Cramer and his friends are selling it to you.

rm+

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit OT, but I find your penchant for ... incredibly annoying. What do you have against correct punctuation, complete ideas, and full sentences?
Old 05-29-2005, 03:15 PM

story on him

He seems like such a great guy! Really...
Old 05-29-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
story on him

He seems like such a great guy! Really...

[/ QUOTE ]

During the Internet bubble Momentum investing was huge, i.e. buy anything that's going up, and sell when it starts going down. It's a great strategy for a bull market, but always ends poorly. Many of the momentum guys got crushed when the bubble burst. One guy got out just in time, and got his own TV show. That guy was Cramer.

Cramer used the Pump N Dump network (CNBC) better than anyone and had a great touch (i.e. sources) at predicting news on hot stocks.

But those days are over. I don't see CNBC moving stocks up like it used to, I think even retards now understand anyone who is touting a stock on CNBC is trying to unload a position on suckers.

Cramer isn't an investor. I doubt he'll ever make money for anyone again. Traders who aren't trading on proprietary information or arbitaging real value differences are just flipping coins. For a couple years a trader could call heads and always win, those days are long gone.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:12 PM

I think this is a little harsh.

Cramer's first job is to attract viewers, not necessarily to offer great stock advice. I think he's usually entertaining. Listen to his advice, but make your own decisions. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You have to remember brokers are salesmen and so is Cramer. Take the good, throw out the bad. He's not great, but he's better than most of the TV shills.

YMMV.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's not great, but he's better than most of the TV shills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps. Using TV shows for investment tips is foolish no matter who you are listening to.

True story. One of the top investment managers in the country, a guy who manages a private fund, was once invited on Cramer's show. He only wanted to talk about investment philosophies and techniques, and refused to give specific stock recommendations (tips). Of course he's not going to give away any of his hard earned proprietary ideas.

Cramer was insulted, and shouted him off the show. And brought on another in a long line of touts trying to dump their losers on gullible public (while keeping their good ideas secret).