Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Make money money

[ QUOTE ]
Not like comfortable rich; "[censored] you" rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've also considered medical school

[/ QUOTE ]

These things are mutually exclusive. I'd go as far as saying that <5% of M.D.'s make over $1 million per year. Those that do, have either:
a)specialized in spinal surgery, neurosurgery, or plastic surgery and run a relatively high-volume private practice
b)have gone into research and subsequently developed a new and marketable drug/pharmaceutical agent/therapeutic device
c)do not solely practice medicine (i.e. consult for hedge funds, etc.)

As far as option A goes: it takes a hella long time to specialize in those fields. lookin at 4 yrs of med school + at least 6 yrs of residency/fellowship (during which you accumulate massive debt and subsequently earn peanuts)

Option B: you can spend your entire life in research and not produce a single marketable product

Option C: why bother going thru medical school if you're not even going to practice medicine (med school's a real bitch)

If all you really desire in life is to become [ QUOTE ]
"[censored] you" rich.

[/ QUOTE ] ... go into business. It's a much easier and quicker way of obtaining wealth.

You said you enjoy doing "financial stuff" ... consider a career on Wall Street. Investment Banking perhaps. Classmates of mine were easily earning 6 figures after their 2nd years at their respective firms. Those salaries will increase considerably the longer they stay on and get promoted thru the ranks. You would obviously make considerably more working for yourself as the manager of your own fund (or consulting firm, etc.), which is a viable option (and common path for many people) after working on the Street for a few years.

if its only $$ you're after: business >> medicine
Old 05-20-2005, 06:34 PM

pretty pathetic life goal.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:42 PM

Learn and understand non-self weighting strategies. Look for your edge and take shots. The larger the risk you are willing to take the quicker you will be fu rich or cocksucking poor. Careful bro.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - Doctor : NO NO NO NO NO! I was a Bio major and I took classes with the premeds and they killed themselves at school. The fact that you are posting here and asking how to make the most money in a hurry says that you have NO interest at all in busting your ass for 8 - 12 years of college / med school. This is not a good choice for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know too many doctors do you? (coming from someone who's dad is a doctor and who knows about a good 5% of doctors in the Chicagoland area

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, you caught me, I know exactly one person that is a doctor (well, I mean I go and see doctors and stuff, but...). She just finished med school and had to bust her ARSE to get it done. OP doesn't seem like he wants to bust ARSE... he wants to find the easy ride.

I'm totally open to correction on this if I'm wrong, please expand...

FishNChips
Old 05-20-2005, 06:50 PM

to each his own

goin crazy right now studying for the godforsaken USLME Step 1 ... only to be followed by getting ridden for 2 years as a medical student on the wards ... followed by an internship/residency where service may be construed as an indentured servitude of sorts ... come out the other end, having one's entire 20s- some of one's 30s, completely passed by

OTOH- 2nd yr analyst at big I-Banking firm in NYC. Pulling in 6 figures. Works many hours now, but as the years pass and promotions are awarded, hours steadily decline, salary exponentially increases. Youth is not spent working crazy hours (save for 2-3 yrs or so) ... will have accumulated much wealth by mid-30s/40s. able to retire early and pursue philanthropic/charitable work that one has longed to do for quite some time