Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: First Hand Post

[ QUOTE ]
Don't post results... it biases discussion of the hand. While you were playing the hand, you didn't know the results, and next time you face this situation you won't know them. Focus instead on the decision making process during each element of the hand, and particularly WHY a particular action is best. I'm just starting to really do this and I have to say it is a very rewarding learning process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think, though Im not 100% sure, he was saying that he intends to post the results after the hand discssusion has died down.

Which is OK. (Acutally, I think results, well after the discussion is over, actually has merit, because they allow us to learn things)
Old 05-20-2005, 04:50 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

i don't play 33 in middle position but if you do you do it as a speculative hand with which you are trying to hit your set or fold. You hit your set so make them pay for it. I reraise the flop, and bet/raise the rest of the way. I don't know what you were trying to do here but when you hit the hand you are going for, make money with it.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You hit your set so make them pay for it. I reraise the flop, and bet/raise the rest of the way. I don't know what you were trying to do here but when you hit the hand you are going for, make money with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your style, dude.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:03 PM

Well, the reason I decided to slowplay this hand is that I had two aggressors in there with me, the bettor and the raiser. I figured to have the best hand and let them bet and raise away on the flop and make them believe I was calling with a small suited Ace. My thought was that there was a lot of action happening on this flop, and that I didn't want to spoil the party with a 3-bet. I figured that I might be able to capitalize on the turn by "waking up" and forcing these two guys to pay me the money. However, the turn action, were I to 3-bet, I would be hoping that the pf raisor had AK and would call down or hopefully cap it. The other problem with the 3 bet is that it would force the turn bettor to call 2 cold, and I wasn't sure whether or not he would call, raise, or fold. I actually thought he might fold w/ Ax. My other thought at the time was to call the turn and then see if I could jam the river.

Of course my thinking in all this may be flawed, which is why I posted it.

Thanks for all the insights thus far.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't post results... it biases discussion of the hand. While you were playing the hand, you didn't know the results, and next time you face this situation you won't know them. Focus instead on the decision making process during each element of the hand, and particularly WHY a particular action is best. I'm just starting to really do this and I have to say it is a very rewarding learning process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think, though Im not 100% sure, he was saying that he intends to post the results after the hand discssusion has died down.

Which is OK. (Acutally, I think results, well after the discussion is over, actually has merit, because they allow us to learn things)

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. I thought he meant he'd post them before things died down.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't play 33 in middle position but if you do you do it as a speculative hand with which you are trying to hit your set or fold. You hit your set so make them pay for it. I reraise the flop, and bet/raise the rest of the way. I don't know what you were trying to do here but when you hit the hand you are going for, make money with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually don't play this kind of hand in this position, but I felt that the table texture, the dead money, and the loose player to my left made it a call that wasn't egregious. I used to coldcall small PP's when I first started playing several months ago, but now I'm more selective. My plan in these situations is of course to fold if I don't see a 3 on the flop. The reason I posted this hand is that I decided to play this a bit differently than I normally would given the flop action. Usually these types of hands I take control and raise/reraise and see if I can lead the turn if it's checked to me. I thought I might extract more big bets on later streets if I just called the flop than were I to jam the flop and then lead the turn and watch my opponents fold.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course my thinking in all this may be flawed, which is why I posted it.

Thanks for all the insights thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most important thing you've posted thus far. Hope you've read Dr. Alan Schoonmaker's Denial: Part III article in this month's 2+2 net mag. Very worthwhile!!
Old 05-20-2005, 05:17 PM

The other thing I noticed by just reviewing this hand is UTG+1's call on the flop. UTG+1 raised pf with what I hoped (on the flop) was AK, and then just called the flop raise. If he had AK or AQ would he not have 3-bet the flop not only for value but to make me face 2 cold? Methinks he must have KK/QQ/JJ/KQs and bet the flop hoping for us all to fold, fearing the Ace.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the most important thing you've posted thus far. Hope you've read Dr. Alan Schoonmaker's Denial: Part III article in this month's 2+2 net mag. Very worthwhile!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I just read the article. Makes a lot of sense. I hope it doesn't look like I'm looking for affirmation in my post. It was an unusual hand the way it played out, and I remember deciding to take an unusual line other than the one where I jam the pot. I figured some people would say that this play is retarded, which I agree with to some extent, but was wondering if there was any value to the line I took.

Again, thanks for your replies.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:04 PM

I guess enough time has passed to post the results. I 3-bet the turn and both opponents folded. I cursed out loud and made a mental note to post the hand on 2+2.