Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Alcoholics Anonymous...

Rehab is for quitters! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2005, 03:11 PM

Yeah, AA was always too goddy--there are good groups/regions and bad ones, but it does seem common.

NA I'm a bigger fan of, even though its not for me (a gin and tonic is for me), chiefly because it is less goddy, though thats still a big part.

The born-again christian thing I'm not sure I get---I know a lot more AA/NA junkies who are all about the program all the time. That's fine, but I'd rather build my life and my relationships around mutual passions rather than mutual problems which is why I hang out at the bar instead of meetings.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:13 PM

The whole foundation of Alcoholics Anonymous is based on faith in a high power, so it's no surprise that the majority of members also have faith in religion.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:18 PM

I know someone who has been a member for 4 yrs and has stayed sober.

I understand that the Anonymous part is to do with the fact that everyone is supposed to remain anonymous outside the meetings. You are not suposed to tell others who they see in meetings.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:20 PM

"What you see here and what you hear here, when you leave here, let it stay here."

"HEAR HEAR"
Old 05-20-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, the reason it's anonymous is written right on the rules which must be posted at any meeting that calls itself alcoholics anonymous.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what's the reason?

[ QUOTE ]
It's a good thing and anyone who would have the nuts to slam on it is truly misinformed. I recommend going to a session even if you're not an alcoholic! You won't regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Like you said, it helps some people so that's all good. But i actually have been to meetings years ago (court mandated). I hated every minute. Sitting there listening to all those guys bitch and moan about their problems, or come clean about what they'd done just sucked for me. But to each his own.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:55 PM

Yeah, not to mention the 13th step...
Old 05-20-2005, 09:32 PM

exactly. I have been attending meetings off and on since last october. I went to meetings years ago and met some high ups in corporations and kids parents that I knew. I don't get into the whole god aspect of it, as I'm a bit too liberal and cynical to go with blind faith, but I don't judge those who feel that it helps them. Its something that I do to keep myself under raps as I trust myself in certain situations to not go back to my old ways, but sometimes you can't fully trust yourself, ya know. It isn't fuly for me, but for those that it works for its great. I was never a meeting junkie, but I don't look down on those who are, whatver works for each person. There are many who need it though as some of the stories that I've heard are very sad, and depressing
Old 05-20-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The whole foundation of Alcoholics Anonymous is based on faith in a high power, so it's no surprise that the majority of members also have faith in religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but your higher power can be whatever works for you, it does not have to have any religous conotations. For example, a higher power could be a committment to a better family life or better health. Or a tree in your back yard if you choose. Nobody pushes religion on you at any Anonymous meeting.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:09 AM

I distinctly remember a former sponsor suggesting a doorknob.