Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Interesting 30/60 hand

[ QUOTE ]
This hand reeks of FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably right. I rarely play hands in this way. But no-one seems to actually want to spin out the thought processes of all three players on every street. Regardless of right or wrong or result there's an awful lot to think about here and a lot to learn from. I think I learned a lot just from playing this one hand.

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 05-20-2005, 11:44 AM

I think betting out this flop is terrible poker. With this flop you should be hoping to close the flop action by calling one bet with a gutter and a backdoor draw. This hand is just a fancy way of losing money.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:44 AM

I gave you a good response [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] even-if-i-do-say-so-myself

I'm just waiting for results already [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Interesting 30/60 hand -- RESULTS

Ok. First, an explanation.

Preflop: marginal. That's about it.

Flop: MP and button were pretty loose. UTG+1 could have just overcards. I pretty much have to call a bet anyway for various possible outs. Check-calling is the standard for sure. Here, however, I was uncomfortable with my A9 (probably a good reason to have folded preflop). I figured that there was a possibility that a bet would fold out some of the opponents given the relatively uncoordinated board. I also though that it might give me some bluff equity on the turn if another blank hit. I thought about UTG+1 raising and decided that it might not be such a bad thing since it was possible it'd fold out a small PP or AJ, cleaning up my A and maybe even my 9 outs. Ok, so UTG+1 raises (could be anything), and button calls 2 cold. Maybe button has a T. More likely a draw.

Turn: Other than a non-diamond 7 this is about the best card I could ask for. Biggish pot. Definitely worth a bet to represent that T. When I did bet UTG+1 thought for a good long time. Would he really think that hard with AA-JJ? He didn't seem to be Hollywooding a T either. Button called quickly -- he sure looks like he's on a draw.

River: Blank. So now I've done a "good" job of representing a T. UTG+1 looks like he's on overcards or a medium PP, and I'm pretty sure button is on a draw. The pot is $600 and I'm not winning it by checking. If UTG+1 has less than an overpair it's really tough for him to call with button left to act -- my bluff is STRONGER because this is 3 way and not HU. So I bet and hope . . .

RESULTS:

UTG+1 folds. button CALLS with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (wtf?) and MHIG
Old 05-20-2005, 12:22 PM

It isn't that your reasoning is crazy or anything. I just think you make a bunch of plays that in the long run just dont' make you money.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be here

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a more than fair point. I think the preflop call was marginal, as was the flop play. I'm not sure either was bigtime -EV, but possibly -EV nonetheless. That said, though, I think the turn and river play, especially when viewed in light of the way the whole hand played out, were right on the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats called recursive justification and has no place in poker...i dont see what was fantastically interesting in this hand...you bet the flop which i disagree with...then bet the turn which was the street you probably played best given the flop plays. and i'd check the river and probably call a bet from the lag who raised pf because he can easily have QJ/KQ etc. trying to win the pot and at the river closing the action i'll pay 1bb to see it. betting is -ev imo because if you're called you're easily beat 85-90% of the time...you happened to get one that was in the 10-15%.

on the flop i check call and usually check fold the turn. unimproved if i have to overcal the lag's bets and a call.

Barron
Old 05-20-2005, 05:23 PM

I think this is fine HU, but with 2 other in the pot, you lose more than you win.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:54 PM

I think the river bet is what we call a bluff... That is to say it's not important what happens when we are called, but how often we are called.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:59 PM

Does any fold preflop here?

I am not so sure that he has a call preflop...I guess in the 10 - 15 blind structure it can be a call against a loose aggressive player but if the blinds were 1 - 2, this is an easy preflop fold.

Vilian is raising from UTG+1 and I think you can safely fold here.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:59 PM

Preflop: calling has to be better than 3 betting. Why is it so important to get the bb out in this spot?