Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Something I\'ve noticed.

[ QUOTE ]
I always assume friends of 2+2 ers aren't making those plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

most of my friends don't even know how to play poker....and those that do know how wouldn't be very good at it.
although I suspect a couple friends of mine would have potential...but I just don't think they're interested.

I do think it's worthwhile to try to get into the mindset of different fish to find-out where they are coming from.
Not all fish play the same obviously and it's helpful to know why they play the way they do.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:34 AM

One characteristic of bad players that you alluded to but didn't really elaborate on is that they see their hand in a vacuum. I find this type of player in B&Ms a lot. Some stay as long as they have outs, even though with some contemplation they would realize that a) the odds of hitting are dead slim and b) they are likely already drawing dead. They get raised on the turn holding 3rd pair and they call, then raise on the river when they catch 2 pair, giving them 3rd and 4th pair. They get raised back and call that. Stuff like that. I guess once people start taking the board into consideration they become that scared "monsters under the bed" type player, only raising when they can definitely beat every single possible hand allowed by the board. Both these types of players fail to consider what kinds of plays their opponents tend to make or what kinds of decisions their opponents have made thus far in the hand.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:03 AM

sort of a follow up - I have a leak where I seem to be able to put people on one hand pretty early on, and whatever happens, the idea doesn't shift. I'm right I'd guess about 50% of the time when it gets to showdown, about 30% of the time they'd fold (so I don't know if I got em right or not in these cases). But the remainder, they put em down, and I'm completely taken by surprise.

The best advice that I need to start focussing on was in one of the beginner books, along the lines of, 'try not to put a player on one hand, but a range of hands', I guess.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When did I table coach anyone, ever? Show me that part of my post. The only time I gave advice was to a friend playing .5/1.

Maybe what my post was a bit n00balicious. The main reason I posted it is because I learned about why weak/tighties and LAGs play the way they do. I always knew that "bad" players misplayed hands, but I recently realized what their mindset is. Hopefully one person on this board learned something from my post. For the rest of you, sorry for wasting your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked your post and even showed it to a few friends. I don't know what the other guy's problem is.