Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: how would you rate my team?
Going to win it all 2 9.09%
needs bats 13 59.09%
needs pitching 1 4.55%
needs more help 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: people are MORANS sometimes... money stuff...

Yeah spot on. I mean like this board consists of some losers but mostly people who think about using money to make money (albeit betting it!) a lot.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:18 PM

do you think they really choose to live like that? if all your money from work goes to paying your bills (and i mean necessities not like mcdonalds and manicures) then what choice do you have? how can you save?

some people are just in bad situations man. why would they CHOOSE to live paycheck to paycheck?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that the vast majority of pepole living paycheck-to-paycheck are doing it because they are irresponsible with their money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am surprized to see a statement like this from you. Although I would agree that this would apply to a certain percentage of people, I would disagree that it's the vast majority. There are far more people unable to make ends meet as a result of their income. As far as being financially irresponsible, this is not an easy affliction to overcome. I liken it to losing weight or quitting smoking. You are very fortunate to possess the discipline it takes to save money, but for some people this is almost impossible.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:27 PM

its ridiculous that people live like this. i dont know how its possible.

i read somewhere that the average networth of renters is like $1,400 while the average networth of home owners is $27000. if either of those numbers are truth its truly pathetic.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you think they really choose to live like that? if all your money from work goes to paying your bills (and i mean necessities not like mcdonalds and manicures) then what choice do you have? how can you save?

some people are just in bad situations man. why would they CHOOSE to live paycheck to paycheck?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, they do choose. but it's not like they think to themselves: "i'm gonna go blow this money that i should be saving" it's that they've never learned how to manage their money properly. I have met VERY few people (in fact, i cannot think of one right now) that could legitimatly claim to be using ALL of their money to pay bills and living expenses (and i've lived in some ghettos).

even if this was the case, i'll bet they're wasting money in lots of ways- not taking advantage of the best deals at the supermarket, buying things that they think that they need but they don't, going out, driving instead of riding the bus, not working as much as they could, etc, etc...
(food is a big one- a person can eat well on like $60/month, but most people are unwilling to make the effort to do so. personally i am too lazy to cook every day, and i spend like $300 a month or more on food)

i believe, from my experiences as a poor person and my freinds and aquaintences experiences, that the VAST majority of people that live paycheck to paycheck do so because of their own irresponsibility rather than for legitimate reasons.

they 'CHOOSE' to live this way because it's easier and they have never taken the time to learn any other way- and most haven't been bitten in the ass by their lifestyle yet, but it happens, and i see it every month.

i'm sure that there are some people that are just in bad situations, but, they're the tiny minority of people living this way. also, many of them likely got into that situation by living month-to-month.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am surprized to see a statement like this from you. Although I would agree that a this would apply to a certain percentage of people, I would disagree that it's the vast majority. There are far more people unable to make ends meet as a result of their income. As far as being financially irresponsible, this is not an easy affliction to overcome. I liken it to losing weight or quitting smoking. You are very fortunate to possess the discipline it takes to save money, but for some people this is almost impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can have some shockingly conservitive positions sometimes, huh?

it's not only their income that limits their ability to escape the viscious cycle fo paycheck to paycheck living, but society and business empowers that lifestyle through the extension of easy credit, welfare programs that do not include education, laws that favor debtors, etc... but, at the heart of it, you're responsible for yourself.

i like the 'losing weight' analogy- it's very appropriate, but i believe that the VAST MAJORITY of obese people are so because they choose it, too, lack of discipline or no. lacking dicipline isn't exactly a disability, it's a fault, and one that people should work to correct.

(oh, god, i'll be bombing abortiion clinics and voting republican any day now)
Old 05-19-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about you, but I'd rather live paycheck to paycheck than be a bum on the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

so? what's that supposed to mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're asking how can people live paycheck to paycheck, when often their only option is that or homelessness
Old 05-19-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its ridiculous that people live like this. i dont know how its possible.

i read somewhere that the average networth of renters is like $1,400 while the average networth of home owners is $27000. if either of those numbers are truth its truly pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respect your opinions and all, MBD, but I really doubt the veracity of this statistic.

And to the OP, have you ever considered the possibility it's far from impossible that at least 1 out of your 35 tenants has some unavoidable emergency which causes them to be in such a financial bind?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're asking how can people live paycheck to paycheck, when often their only option is that or homelessness

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the thing, i don't believe that's their only other option (in the vast majority of cases). see my other posts in this thread for an explanation.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And to the OP, have you ever considered the possibility it's far from impossible that at least 1 out of your 35 tenants has some unavoidable emergency which causes them to be in such a financial bind?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's exactly what happens... and it's exactly why it's stupid to live paycheck to paycheck. it's not that hard to saveup a months living expenses over the course of a year. (at least, for most people this should be easy). if those people had done so, the 'unavoidable emergency' is meerly an inconvenience, and i wouldn't have to evict them, which sucks, believe me.