Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: I owe Ed a beer...

I think I'm in the "I don't get it club." You're three-betting with potentially the worse hand after a raise and a cold call. You can drive a truck through those two cards, so you're probably going to have a rough time of it post flop in a big pot with atleast 2 opponents.

The cold caller is what makes things tougher, imo. I might 3-bet this if I can get it heads up against a potential post stealer, but after MP2 calls I like my chances better in the muck.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:55 AM

Congrats.

Domination is bad. I would probably fold preflop, but I don't know. If I'm playing, I'm raising for sure.

After that, yeah, I just bet madly too.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're three-betting with potentially the worse hand after a raise and a cold call.

[/ QUOTE ]

A poster raised and another poster called, not a very strong case for A9o to be no good. I'd love to get this pot only 3-way. There is a ton of blind money in the pot and I might have the best hand. Given how little money I put in compared to the pot, this doesn't even have to work very often to be profitable. Fail that, it sure builds a table image [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where in SSHE does it say to three bet A9o in any position whether u posted or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't. The reference is to Ed Miller's 2+2 mag articles on posting in late position.

Where is someone like CDC, Ed, Nate, Colgin or SThief to make a comment without a serious weak taint...
Old 05-19-2005, 04:18 AM

A9o is not the hand to fight for all this dead money with.

i think postflop is solid...you'd fit in over in HUSH.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i think postflop is solid...you'd fit in over in HUSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

True and true. But as far as postflop goes there is no other way to play it with his preflop action, I mean its pretty simple after that. As long as he doesnt get check raised or called down.

Still this hand is way down in the marginal category.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like I get to pick, if it's +EV I'm playing. Although I'd rather have A9o here than QJo, but maybe that's just me. A9o is cutting it close, was curious if someone would put the smack down on me...
Old 05-19-2005, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be in there with the 3-bet like Fnord. A9o is a great hand to 3-bet with here with dead money all over the pot and blinds and posts to steal.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:53 AM

I like this. Nobody in this hand entered the pot without dead money and at no point postflop does anyone give any indication of having anything at all that beats you. I wouldnt bet again on the river but I think this is good.

I think I would take the QJo here though over A9o. Given the multi way pot and your mediocre kicker I would like to have something that has less chance of being dominated if you hit top pair, where you are better off if you hit your kicker and also gives you the chance at a straight.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where is someone like CDC, Ed, Nate, Colgin or SThief to make a comment without a serious weak taint...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some posters will raise much lighter or very light and others won't. While it helps to have a read on your opponent if you don't I would assume that MP1 is raising on the light side. Given that I can't see folding A9o with extra dead money in the pot. Thus, it becomes a raisse or call decision. While just calling has some advantages (such as keeping the pot small which may facilitate picking it up with a bet or raise on the flop), the big drawback is that you allow others to enter the pot, which you do not want to do with a hand, such as A9o, that doesn't play well multiway. If you knew the button and blinds were tight then I might just call. Not knowing that I would raise as I want to get the button and knock out one or both blinds.

Once you three-bet pre-flop you have to continue with the post-flop aggression on this board. However, be prepared to relaease quickly if someone plays back at you.

Nice hand.

Colgin