Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: wsop double shootout hand

I raise more preflop (400 total), and (obviously) adjust my flop and turn bets accordingly. If he has me beat on the river after a large PF raise then he made an FTOP mistake and got lucky, oh well. By the river you are pot committed so you can't fold.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:46 PM

Tyler,

Ask yourself this. Can you have played this hand perfectly and still lose? Sure. Happens alot in poker.

Now, I'm with Gavin, my first impulse is to call this down. 1/3 the time you are going to win the pot because he has overplayed a worse nine. But 2/3 the time you are going to lose when faced with his line.

If you think you have a good handle on this table, I might very well fold. You have 2k left, and are still in decent position with 20xBB to make your move. And considering some of the donks that play these, you would still have a good chance.

Probably played well. Probably lost. Poker~

Nick
Old 05-18-2005, 04:54 PM

Durron,

Why is he pot committed? He has 2k (20xBB) left. Has he put a lot into the pot? Sure. But he's far from pot committed.

Nick
Old 05-18-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Durron,

Why is he pot committed? He has 2k (20xBB) left. Has he put a lot into the pot? Sure. But he's far from pot committed.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

More than half his original stack is in the pot... he's getting 3.7:1 on his call, which means that he only has to be ahead like 22% of the time to call. Unless I'm missing something.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise more preflop (400 total), and (obviously) adjust my flop and turn bets accordingly. If he has me beat on the river after a large PF raise then he made an FTOP mistake and got lucky, oh well. By the river you are pot committed so you can't fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't want to raise more preflop b/c he was the kind of player that would call w/ a lot of holdings. I wanted to just raise enough to get it heads up w/ him while keeping the pot at a reasonable size.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:09 PM

While the math is important, isn't the tournament status overall the correct play? If this is NL Ring, he will shove. But this is a tournament. And survival is key. 2k is PLENTY at this point in the tournament.

He is not pot committed IMHO.

Nick
Old 05-18-2005, 06:09 PM

My thoughts are very similar to that of Rushmore. Either the guys is a) bluffing, b) has K9 or c) has me beat. Given that it's a $160 SnG I probably call and hope for the best. That said, I probably push on the turn given that there is a flush and straight draw on the board and would like to put this guy to the test right now. If he's going for the draw why not get him to commit right now where I'm now a favorite to get all his chips? Also, the push could look like I'm on a draw and want to end it early prior to hitting or that I'm trying to represent the 9 so if he does have a big pair or a smaller 9 I get his chips now. Basically I believe I'm ahead on the turn and want to do my best to maximize value and minimize risk. I think pushing is the best way. No need to get greedy. Also, let's make things simpler on the river. If he already has the full house then he deserves to get my chips.